Need help with tank repair

budweisman

I have a 100 gals tank that I had for several years and would like to re-seal the inside corner, somebody told me that a 100% silicone is the one to use but when I read the instruction it is not recommended for underwater use, now I'm confused and don't know what to use, any help is greatly appreciated.

wooddood

the wood dude
go to a glass shop and ask them what they recomend.but im sure you can get it at lowes/homedepot or your lfs.

BigReepher

I think they just say not for underwater use for liability reasons. I personally use Aquarium Sealant made by DAP, it's basically just 100% silicone. As long as the silicone says 100% silicone and doesn't have any additives, I think you'll be fine.

ScottT1980

Usually at a HD or Lowes, you will find two types of silicon, one that has a mildew inhibitor and one that does not. Get the silicone without the additives and you will be fine.

Also, you can smell it and I think the one with additives smells different that the 100% silicone (which smells like acetic acid or vinegar)

BoomerD

I did this stuff for years. As was posted, home depot, lowes or the LFS should carry a good silicone. 100% silastic silicone. Make sure that you don't get siliconeII..It has the mildew repellent additive, and is toxic. When you remove your old silicone, make sure you get all the timy pieces, use a single edge razor to scrape every last bit of old silicone from the glass, or you won't get a good seal.

Pro_builder

BoomerD is correct here!!! Use 100% silicone, and clean then clean some more. You will be fine. Once you get the bead, of Silcone in the corner, wet your finger tip and smooth the bead out, this will make it bond better to the glass and also make it look better.
HTH

J

jupiter

Originally posted by BoomerD
Make sure that you don't get siliconeII..It has the mildew repellent additive, and is toxic.

Both silicone I and silicone II can have the mildew inhibitors. But both can be inhibitor-free as well. Silicone II doesn't hold well underwater which is why it shouldn't be used.

Silicone I ofen reads, "100% Silicone Rubber" and yes, it smells like vinegar. Silicone II reads, "100% Silicone".

budweisman

Thanks for your quick reply, I'll use a 100% silicone, I made some phone calls to a local store and they have a 100% silicone made specially for aquarium, O also made a call to DAP and they said the silicone I have in a blue tube is not safe for fish, anyway I would like to thank again everybody for their help/reply.

BoomerD

Jupiter, thanks for clarifying that. I had it pointed out to me by a friend that several of the aquarium companies also use SiliconeII for joining acrylic to glass. Apparently, it works better on the acrylic than the standard silicone.

Pro_builder

Boomer, you are right. Silicone II works better for bonding 2 different materials together.
Especially glass and Acrylic