Need help with MH ballast and fixture re-wiring

Little Lucy 27

Hello all! My first post ;-)
I purchased an Odyssea fixture with 2/175w HQI MH 2/96w PC and 6/LED moonlights and fans.....
The MH ballast is not with the unit as it was bad and the guy threw it out (dagnabbit! I would have like the connectors) anyway...I have 2/175w magnetic Corallife pendants with mogul bulbs ....I wish to use the ballasts for the Odyssea fixture. My questions is:
Does anyone know if it I can just wire new plugs that fit each other to the existing fixture and ballast and it would just be that easy?
SPOILER ALERT: I am in no way electrically inclined.....

DaveK

I believe you will need to obtain new ballasts.

HQI bulbs are usually only 150w, verses 175w mogul bulbs. In addition HQI bulbs start differently, compared to mogul bulbs. This makes the ballasts incompatible. Note that some of the electronic ballasts can work with either type of bulb, but I believe the Coralife ballasts are magnetic and not electronic.

Another benefit you will gain by replacing the ballasts is much less power consumption, and heat being produced. Note that the reduction in temp is mostly because the ballasts run cooler, so it may not make much difference over the tank, but the room will stay cooler in summer. As I recall, the time it takes to recover your investment in electronic nallasts is about 4 - 5 years.

Little Lucy 27

Thank you
maybe I am using the term HQI incorrectly...they are DE bulbs and supposed to be 175w....I could change out the DE and use the moguls from the pendants to get me by until I can afford new ballasts..but I was trying to avoid that as I think it will be a PITA;-)
IDK, I am unemployed and just trying to git 'er dun with what I have...lol

DaveK

maybe I am using the term HQI incorrectly...they are DE bulbs and supposed to be 175w....

Double ended bulbs commonly used on aquarium systems are usually 150w or the larger 250w bulbs. There are also 70w and 400w bulbs available, but they are much less common. Double check you fixture and bulbs. I suspect you have 150w double ended bulbs.

As I have pointed out in my previous post, with a few rare exceptions the ballasts used on single ended (mogul based) bulbs and the ballasts used for double ended (HQI) bulbs are NOT compatible or interchangeable.