Need help with Cyano

EdgeKrusher

Just got finished testing my tank. I'm battling Cyano right now as some of you may know. Here are my tanks params

Tests take 11/29/2003

Alk: 3.2 meq/L
Ammonia: 0 mg/L
CA: 450 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Nitriate: 0 ppm
pH: 8.0
Phosphate: 0.25 mg/L
SG: 35

Again I have new lights, temp is constant at 80 degrees.
Thanks for the help!

Peace

EK

Curtswearing

I'm surprised your phophates are that high knowing that you lowered your feedings and use RO/DI and are now dripping kalk.

I know that if you go through a period of overfeeding or use poor water for a while, it can take a while for you to see the benefit of using better water or reducing feedings.

Excess phosphates will bind to CaCo3 (i.e. most sand and LR). Doing the right thing for a while will not immediately fix phosphate problems. You can treat the symptom with chemicals (which I'm not a fan of) or you can be patient and continue doing the right thing regarding feeding, waterflow, lighting, and water quality. I'm sure Mojoreef knows this off the top of his head but I don't.

Does anyone else have thoughts regarding this issue?

EdgeKrusher

My water flow is not the best right now. I have a MiniJet 606 in the center of my tank. It blows against the fron of the tank. I want to add my minijet 404 in the back but dont have suction cups for it. I'm not sure what setting it on the sand whould do, but I don't think any good.

Peace

EK

wooddood

the wood dude
get out the siphon,increase water flow and ro/di water and patience, its a nano right?i think we all have been through it before.i know its frustrating but you'll over come this hang in there. dave.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Hey EK on your phosphate test did you just do it out of the water column. If so can you do one right on top of the sand bed, its ok if a particle or two goes in the test vial, also go to the LR where you have some cyano brush it off and do another test vial right at the surface.
Here is the thinking behind it EK. Lighting is eliminated, flow is a bit of a concern but will not do it on its own. Your phosphate kit is reading .25 in regards to inorganic phosphates, thats not good. Inorganic phosphates are usually bound up by organics quickly after entering the tank, if your still showing them, that would leave me to believe your organic phosphates are really high and cant consume anymore. Since you have lessened your feeding (thus your source) and still have it, we need to find the source of them. Removeing the cyano from a spot on the sand and on the rock will tell us if the source is the sand and/or the rock.

Let me know and we can go from thier.

Ps. Curt on the binding of Phospahte in the argonite, this is true but it will only bind until its full then stop, so if he is still getting readings tat would mean that the rock is not absorbing anymore, thus it would seem to be more of a biological cycle then that.

Mike

EdgeKrusher

Thanks for the articles.

Mojo,
I took those readings from where you told me beofre. about 1/8" above the affected area, I did two tests one on the LR, I brushed the cyano away and took water from there. And I did another test on the SB, brushing away the cyano. I also did a third test from the water column. They all read 0.25 meg/L. :(

Thanks

EK

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Great. Ok so we got some phosphate leeching coming from the substriaghts. Ok on the LR it will sheds it detritus and thus its assoc phosphates, so its an easier fix. Sand is a little tougher.
Here is an experiment if your up to it. What I see that has happened is that the areobic zone (1 inch ) has reached saturation, and is storing and leeching phosphates that it cannot cycle (dont worry it common).
Ok take a patch of sand (find the worse one) about a 8 inch square if ya can. Prepare some water for a water change. Get a Syphon hose. Stick your hand in the tank and go to the area your going to clean, have you syphon hose about an inch off the surface your going after. Stick your fingers in the sand don about an inch (max), begin to grind the sand between your fingers. This should raise some of the detritus and doc's stuck in thier that you caan suck out with the syphon, grinding the sand will break the bonds that the bacteria and so on has bound to. Complete the 8 inch square. Now replace the water you have displaced by syphoning. Allow a few hours before testing and post.
On the live rock usually a good blowing will remove the detritus that has built up,but the lr will continue to shed, so it has to become part of a maintence cycle until it comes under control.
I know its seems like a lot of work but, thier not much you can do about it. Your DSB recycles Phosphates but does not export them. By doing the above you are exporting them, and hopefully you can get them back under control.

good luck

Mike

EdgeKrusher

K I can try that, but I don't have a DSB, the deepest my SB is is about 2 inches at the back of the tank. I'll still try this, and then I'll alos do the maitenence on the LR.

Thanks for the Help!

EK

mojoreef

Just a reefer
I am glad your givng it a try. A 2 inch bed is the same as a 6 inch bed when it comes to this kind of thing EK. I think you will be surpised at what kind of stuff you will pull out.

Mike

EdgeKrusher

Alright. The only thing, this will sound silly, but I'm afraid of my clown. He likes to attack my arm, bite it and tail whip it. I understand that I'm invading his territory, but I guess I can take the nips an whacks. It's time for the tank to get cloudy.
Thanks agian Mojo and all!

Peace

EK

mojoreef

Just a reefer
EK dont try to make the tank cloudy bro. Make sure you syphon out the crud as you stir...its really important. if the tank clouds out a bit sit and wait until it settles and then start out again. you dont want to jurt your water quality...GO slow

Mike

EdgeKrusher

Cool, but when I hit the LR with the baster or whatever I end up using won't it creat a cloud of detrius? Just want to do this right, and then start a feeding regiment that won't create this problem again. ahhh, the joys of being a reefer. :D

Peace

EK

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Yea you will get some for sure. Just do you best to catch it with the syphon. Another idea would be once you have say a 5 gallon bucket of water you have pulled out via syphoning, you could use some batten to strain the water through, this would allow you to put your original water back in. When I do my rock I do it simular but just put a 5 micron sock over the drainlines form the tank and dont do any water change from it.

Just use your good judgement bud, if its looking to cloudy shut it down for a bit.

Mike

EdgeKrusher

Cool will do! :D I wish I was at home right now, just want to keep an eye on my friend, but also get this done.

Thanks

EK

nigle

Oi!

I didn't see anything about how old is the tank, if it's less than a year, then it's still a new tank, and cyno is just a problem.

As mentioned above the water movement, along with watching the feeding is probably the best way to keep it from forming. As also mentioned above if that has been taken care of then siphon it out is the best way of getting rid of it. Also as mentioned above be careful not to siphon it up and allowing it to float around, but get it out.

There are phosphate 'sponges' that can be used in the filters to get rid of it in the water. There is also a thing called Aquamarine Phosphate Eliminator [dry] that I have used in the past. It's a bacteria-based product that adds bacteria into the tank that will 'eat' the phospates. I have had great sucess with it and it doesn't seem to add chemicals but the bacteria that is neded to do the job. But be careful to add it AFTER you feed the fish or at night,. My fish sometimes want to 'eat' it and they don't seem to like it, bleah!

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

EdgeKrusher

The tank has been setup here for about two months. I recently moved. Previously it had been set up for almost 4 months. I replaced the sand bed. That's it. So I guess it could be new tank syndrome.

Peace

EK

EdgeKrusher

I haven't done it yet. By the time I got home I had enough time to take those pics for my Doser and then it was lights out.