Need help. Foam/no foam?

Tjr1992

I recently added support with 2x4's to a 30 gallon aquarium stand that I bought used. I also added a piece of oak plywood on top of the stand and secured it with a nail gun. The problem is, it seems the plywood makes a slight hump in the middle so the aquarium isn't level on all 4 sides. It's a 30 gallon glass aquarium with black silicone and black plastic rimming on the top and bottom. Should I put some foam under the aquarium? If not, what should I do to level it out? Thanks.

AJK

Hi friend, I custom build my own tank stands. Would need to see pic of stand. How thick is the oak plywood ? If stand is level without oak plywood base, then use stand without oak base, water weight distributes to 4 corners of tank stand. I would never use foam under aquarium. For my 55 gal stand, believe I used 1" thick sanded pine plywood, treated with water resistent sealer. If you click on my sig link, I have pic of the stand, on page 6. I've learned before purchasing wood at hardware stores, to lay piece on floor, check for unevenness. Good luck, happy reefing :)

Depending on how the ply was stored would determine if it were flat or bowed when you bought it.

Depending on how you stored it at home before using it would determine of it were bowed by your actions.

Remove the ply. This isn't the best panel material to use, anyway, unless it is correctly sealed and fitted.

Place the tank on a polystyrene layer.

Tjr1992

It's a 3/4 inch thick oak plywood. Reef commando, there's no way to remove the plywood because I used a nail gun to secure it to the stand. The stand was made for a 29 gallon aquarium to sit inside it, but the guy had a 30 gallon. He just had some wood on the inside edges to sit the aquarium on. Is it ok if I put polystyrene on top of the plywood?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I would shim the corners that have a gap between the wood and the corner of the tank. That will help relieve the stress on the tank.

I will have to describe the nails, because they probably have a wrong name in America and not the proper English term lol.

If the nails had a smooth shank then the ply should come off ok. Unless you dove nailed it.
If the nails had a shank which had what looks like a really fine thread to them....ring shank, then it will be a pain to get up.

To shim means pack. So you would pack up the corners of the tank to compensate for the bow in the ply.

Bottom line, realistically is to have the ply off and adapt the tank stand properly.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Whatever you use, would need to be pushed under the tank to relieve the pressure on the glass. Currently, where ever the glass is not resting on the wood is being stressed. The main concern is the seams of the tank. So if it were my tank, I'd use a wood shim that can be tapped (gently) under the tank to ensure support where needed.

AJK

Here's what I would try to do friend, if you do not want to remove existing base. Purchase another piece of plywood, 1/2" thick. Add to top of existing base, then fill in the gaps with wood shim. You can purchase wood shim from hardware store such as Home depot, believe 10 pack for $1,. Use a level, tap shims in place, draw line across shim, remove, cut, apply wood glue to secure shims, re-apply, then sand. If you need a pic illustration, let me know. Good luck :)

AJK

Awesome ! happy you were able to get stand all work'd out. Sometimes the simplest methods is the most effectivce. Happy reefing :)