need help fast

Orlando-Jeff

Last night all my zoas and my birdsnest closed up for no apparent reason. Today I come home to find this on my zoas. All the zoas and birdsnest are on the same rock. Every thing else in the tank looks fine for now. getting ready to do a huge WC. All my parameters are good.
sal...1.025
cal...470
alk...9dkh
PH...8.1
temp 78
nitrate....05ppm

Don't want to lose my tank again

DaveK

I don't know what is on your zoas either, but it does look like the zoas don't like it. I'd remove it if possible. I think I'd try a soft brush first, like a soft never used paint brush.

I think your on the right track with a water change.

Orlando-Jeff

just did a 20% WC. Also used a turkey baster to blow a lot ( but not all ) of it off. Guess I will just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Oxylebius

Seems weird that something like that sprang up overnight. Glad you are able to use a turkey baster to blow it off.

Orlando-Jeff

Thanks Oxylebius. Seems like the WC and turkey baster paid off. Came home today to find everything looking much,much better. Might do another WC and blasting tomorrow just to make sure. Now, I see something else going on. My monti has a white edge on one side. I've read it could be a sign of growth or maybe a pest or bleaching. It has been growing nicely. What do you think?

Monti[1].jpg

Oxylebius

That looks more like bleaching. I've seen my monti caps do that when I have left them out of the water for a little too long during water changes. It could also be an alk issue. But, since you are doing water changes anyway, this should help the coral to heal itself. Don't mess with the coral. Keep an eye on it. Also look closely for any pests just in case.

This is what my water changes look like. Sometimes the monti caps turn a little white afterward, but it clears up in a matter of days.