Need Help Asap Broken Fuge Hob

oc reefer

Ok so I have one of those 3.5 gal Hang on the back Fuges (works great for my 29gal tank) anyway the return PVC's and or gaskets started leaking so today i was trying to tighten the smaller one that pumps water into the tank and it snapped the thredding off into the male part so now its broke im SOL and i cant find a replacement part on the web anywhere. Can someone please help me find a place that has them or any suggestions (time if of the essence here i dont want my fuge to die off been running for 1 year almost). I can post pics if neccessary.

Thanks so much in adv.

DaveK

The first advice I will give you is to replace the hang on tank refugium with something larger and placed somewhere else. IMHO, hang on tank refugiums are too small to really be effective, and are very prone to breaking.

If you still want to repair your existing refugium, I would recommend you measure the inside diameter of the pipe and get a real PVC bulkhead fitting to replace the junk fittings originally used. You will likely need to use a hole saw to enlarge the existing hole. You'll also need a length of PVC pipe, and a few L fittings, and an adaptor fitting to connect it to what ever pump you are using.

oc reefer

OK thanks for your input, unforunately i dont have room for anything under the tank so this is whats i got. The person i got it from didnt build it right so thats why im having the problems that i am having now. So it looks like i gotta go and do the PVC project. I would just love to get the part back that broke......

chipmunkofdoom2

I would leave it off if you can't fix it easily or cheaply. Dave is right, refugiums aren't supposed to be that small. The woefully tiny HOB fuge unfortunately came about because people don't understand much about refugiums except that they're "good". Well, they're only good if they do their job IMO, and with a HOB fuge, the only job it'll likely accomplish is let you put things in it.

oc reefer

I hear what your saying however it grows a great deal of copapods and my chyto and grape as well as it functions as a built-in skimmer. So going without it is not an option.