Need bulb opinions please!

icedgxe

I need some opinions on lighting. It is about time to switch out my halides and I want some ideas. Right now I have phoenix 14k's in my current sunpod (150w). Should I go back with them? I am also considering the radium 20k's? Reeflux 12k? I am looking for best stand alone color, as I have no actinic supplementation, and also best par. Does anyone have any experience with the three bulbs? Maybe even ushio 10k or pheonix 14k and order 6ft vho supplementation. I think there is a decent icecap kit on marinedepot that comes with eveything for the 6ft vho setup.Tank is mainly sps btw. Any help is appreciated.Thanks.

ReefLady

Staff member
Can't help much, when we had our 180g, we had Iwasaki's (6500k) and a ton of VHO actinic supp. To me it was the perfect balance ~ phenomenal growth and coloration. I've seen the radium 20k's - personally hate them - don't like the blue tint, and from what I have heard, they are expensive to maintain (need to change out about every 6 mos).

If I had no supplementation, I'd probably opt for a 14k bulb, but it's really a personal preference.

DaveK

Lighting is extremely subjective. Anything from 6500K to 20000K will work. You need to consider how the tank will look and what you want out of it.

My personal choice would be in the range of 10000K to 14000K bulbs, as I feel 20000K is much too blue. However, I wouldn't call anyone else wrong on their choice.

Keep in mind that color temp is only a rough idea of how things will look. The bulbs from different manufacturers will all look different. Sometimes even bulbs of the same type and manufacturer will look different. Even the ballast you are using can make some difference.

zy112

I would stay with the 14k's. I have had 10's, 20's, 15's, and currently have the 14's and like them a lot. It all comes down to what you like though.

icedgxe

Thanks. I like the phoenix but have heard good things about other bul;bs as well and just wanted to see what others thought before I ordered a whole new set of bulbs. May just have to go with them again.