Need an Snail ID

vdituri

Anyone know this guy?

He eats cyano like its going out of style which is why I bought him.
Funniest looking snail I've ever seen.
Sits burried under the sand and all you see are his eye stlaks and this long elephant like grey trunk coming up out of the sand like a snorkel vacuum.

Any ideas?

ps. - not in the Display Tank, he's in the 30 gallon in case he eats corals, but I haven't seen him on the rocks yet.

2008_03070003.jpg

vdituri

Yeah Bob. Its like watching a hoover vacuum.
It's why I got him. I thought it was a conch, but wanted a second opinion.
The guy at the LFS said it was a nassarius and sold it to me for $2.49. lol

Thanks for the ID guys, that is exactly what it looks like under all the algae on it's shell.

framerguy

Yeah Bob. Its like watching a hoover vacuum.
It's why I got him. I thought it was a conch, but wanted a second opinion.
The guy at the LFS said it was a nassarius and sold it to me for $2.49. lol

Thanks for the ID guys, that is exactly what it looks like under all the algae on it's shell.
Nassarius?! Geez, find another LFS...wait, $2.49, nah, take 'em for all they're worth, then find another one.

vdituri

I felt bad for about 30 seconds.
I even prompted him saying I thought it was a conch of some sort.
Watcha gonna do? He's been there for years so it's not that he's a newbie. lol
If I find anymore "Nassarius" snails I'll take orders. lol

BengBear

Hi Vic,
The snail in ur picture seems to have 1 more feelers compared with the Nassarius snails, which I purchase some time ago.

Any confirmation, I would like to get one if it can survive in a tank without sand.

vdituri

Definitely not a nassarius snail.
It has two long eyestalks and then one big trunk that looks very much like an elephant trunk.

Someone ID'd it as a fighting conch which is the pretty much what I thought.
Just wanted a second opinion.
Not sure what effect no sand bed would have on a nassarius. Can snails be stressed?

JustDavidP

Nassarius love their sand beds. If you are bare bottom, or shallow sand, you made the right choice.

Only question I have is that fighting conch (Strombus Alatus) have eye stalks with additional "feeler" appendages, but that bad boy has two EYES on each stalk!! :O

Dave