Need advice on setting up 75g reef on tile in my Kitchen

clownfool

I am wanting to set up a 80g tank in my Kitchen on tile that is 1 foot square each. The person that laid the tile said I wouldn't be able to set up a aquarium on the tile because it would crack. What do you think?
the stand is 48" X 19". I am thinking that once the stand, aquarium, live rock,water, and canopy it would be very heavy, but I wouldn't think it would crack the tile.

anyone got a big tank on tile?

let me know

thanks

das

G,day dude,
Do you own this house? Does this guy have a licence to tile or would liability be an issue for him hence his warning? a couple of tanks of ours combined would easily match this weight at 82.5 Gal and 132 pound of live rock, 66 pound of substrate and 110 pound of frames,stands and hoods 44 pounds of lighting equ.All on one foot tiles on a floating slab (raised 3ft from the ground) and have been bounced around by our 4 kids;9,6,4,2.5yrs old,and this has been all happening for 21 months;hope this helps m8.

boozeman

im not a contractor but...I think a good ceramic tile could easily handle the weight, I have ceramic tile in my kitchen and my son pounds on it with his trucks without a scratch...but if it makes you nervous you could always slide a sheet of plywood under the stand to distribute the weight

mps9506

boozeman said:
but if it makes you nervous you could always slide a sheet of plywood under the stand to distribute the weight

I think this would be a good idea.

Warnberg

What kind of tile is it, Spanish tile is normally very bumpy and it will be hard to level the tank, but I wouldn't worry about cracking a tile with a tank sitting on it. Instead of ply under the tank you could use foam pads cut to fit under the legs, this will allow even settling of the tank on the tile.

Charlie97L

it all depends on how level the tile is... i know most tile i've seen isn't 100% level square to square. levelling aquariums is very important.

razz

it should be fine but u might want to get a piece of wood cut to the size of the aquarium to help level the tank as the wood will give while the tile wount..i have done this before with-out any problems at all..gl

ex3004me

i agree you should be fine unless the tile guy didnt do his job right but just to help with the weight distribution the ply wood sounds really good

lcstorc

I have my 125g + 24G on the same stand all on tile. No problems in the year so far that it has been set up. The key is that the surface needs to be level so the weight is distributed over the entire area.