Need advice on replacing RSM130 glass tank

fsamir

Hi everyone,

I am a bit upset with the number of scratches and a lot of mineral deposits on the glass of my RSM130 and I thought about replacing it a number of times.
As you know, it is curved glass which makes it quite difficult to replace with anything that is not the original glass. I contacted the local distributor and the glass is $660,00 which is about the same price of a new tank, larger and with that super clear glass.
On the other hand, I have done quite a lot of customisations on the RSM and moving to a new tank would be painful and not cost effective.

I don't think my problem can be solved easily, but it was worth trying to check here if some else had the same problem.

Thanks,

fsamir

I believe the scratches could easily be buffed out. Actually, the real problem are the mineral deposits. I have tried every single chemical products I could find in the forums out there and none has even made a dent on them, Vinegar, CLR, Peroxide, etc.
This tank was kept empty in the garage for quite a while before it got reactivated, which probably helped the minerals to fix to the glass.

In addition, I bought a stronger buffer from a glass company, but I would be extremely frustrated after I dismantle the whole tank again and this buffer also doesn't work.
If I am to empty the tank, I would rather do something that is 100% guaranteed to work, this time.

Phixer

Over time glass can develop a cloudy haze brought about by calcium and lime deposits. This can usually be removed with a product called Lime Away or CLR that does a decent job. Beware, it's toxic to our animals! If you can use it without getting any near the silicone it might do the trick. Just rinse very well afterwards. Be advised if it gets into the silicone the tank may leach some back into the water wiping out your inhabitants. Use this at your own risk. Also try toothpaste and steel wool?

Here's the bad part...Unfortunately not all glass will clear up. Ive had some shower doors that I just could not get clear again.

fsamir

I have already tried CLR, Lime away, thoothpaste and steel wool and even a high speed rotatory machine. None of them made a dent in the mineral deposits, apart from the rotatory tool, which gave me some new and very ugly scratches.
I have already removed mineral deposits with vinegar ages ago, but this time it is much worse. Also, I came across lots of forum posts with people on the same page.
Believe me, mineral deposits can be hell. That is why I am much more inclined to replace the glass, rather than try a chemical compound that is unlikely to work.
I think I already have my answer, I will have to replace the tank.

I have already tried CLR, Lime away, thoothpaste and steel wool and even a high speed rotatory machine. None of them made a dent in the mineral deposits, apart from the rotatory tool, which gave me some new and very ugly scratches.
I have already removed mineral deposits with vinegar ages ago, but this time it is much worse. Also, I came across lots of forum posts with people on the same page.
Believe me, mineral deposits can be hell. That is why I am much more inclined to replace the glass, rather than try a chemical compound that is unlikely to work.

Citric acid. Kevin from Red Sea referred me to it for cleaning the vials and I asked a local guy if he used them and he said he soaks the tank in it for a week with the pumps on. Says makes tank loos brand new

Phixer

At this point I would try a hammer. This will give you two reasons to replace the glass.

Unfortunately your glass is etched/stained beyond repair my friend. Most people dont mention this as a serious drawback to glass tanks. Considering the cost of replacement, I would consider scrapping it or using it as a really nice sump and going with an acrylic tank next time. Sorry to hear.

Last edited: