native tank?

l3fty999

Just wondering, has anyone here in the States attempted a native themed tank? I would be especially be interested in one done after streams and rivers in the Pacific Northwest. I myself toyed with the idea of using a long thin tank with powerheads to duplicate the flow of a river. I think it's doable, I'm just going through a seperation right now and don't have time or money. I do understand that cool water temps can present a problem for filtration, just like the cold marine tank at: Oregonreef.com

Take care
Aaron

Frankie

RS STAFF
Actually I have considered it and ruled it out. SC water is too green and I would never even be able to see whats in the tank! LOL~
I need to move to Fiji and keep the one I have ;)

ReefLady

Staff member
LOL Frankie. I think the idea of a biotope tank is a good one though. Back when Inland Reef in NH was in business, they had a very interesting eastern Atlantic tank set up. Took a heck of a chiller to maintain temps, but the inhabitants were very cool. I've dove around here, so I've seen how beautiful the oceanic fauna here is, but few people realize that we have gorgeous purple rocks, and an abundance of anemones, stars, and urchins.

PEMfish

Yeah it can be done. Iv read alot of articles about it but never thought about it, a brown tank doesn't appeal to me.

FishNerd

I have done a 55g with native Minnesota plants and fish. You will need a chiller. It does not have to be brown water just get a range of parameters you will be taking the fish from and adjust accordinly. You will also need little fear of game wardens who will not be happy if they hear of or see the tank as it is illeagal in most states (HUGE FINES!). I had a northern pike, blue gills, crappie, and a bull head.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
If its illegal, then its poaching and is a criminal act.

One of my sisters has a PhD in wildlife conservation, and her husband is a warden; regardless poaching is harmful to the environment and should be discouraged and reported

BobBursek

As far as being ilegal, I think permits are available to do this depending on your state, go to almost any Cabela's sporting goods store and they have huge FW fish tanks with native fish in them.

zy112

I think its a cool idea but I could never get past the luxury of picking whatever I wanted lol. Too much money not to for me.

l3fty999

If its illegal, then its poaching and is a criminal act.

One of my sisters has a PhD in wildlife conservation, and her husband is a warden; regardless poaching is harmful to the environment and should be discouraged and reported

So how is that any different from companies that harvest various organisms from the oceans and sell them to us? Besides, I would of course do the research and see what is legal and what is not. I have also seen vendors online that do sell some (but not all) species that are native or at least released here, but something else to keep in mind is that many of us see ourselves as "saving" at least some species with the idea that if their natural habitat recovers, we would be providing specimens for release. Just a thought.

Take care
Aaron

l3fty999

As far as being ilegal, I think permits are available to do this depending on your state, go to almost any Cabela's sporting goods store and they have huge FW fish tanks with native fish in them.

I would also like to know where they get their fish. I'm sure they were raised at a hatchery instead of being wild caught like many marine animals. I am within driving distance of a Cabela's store and I know they have a tank like that there. Looking at it would be really neat, but running one would be really educational, especially since it would attract the interest of local people because it's right in our back yards. If I were to do this, I would first research legal issues, and then start testing and studying local streams and rivers before even thinking about setting up my own native system.

ReefLady

Staff member
I have heard that locally (NH) it's illegal to keep a native species tank. I was always curious as to why ~ if I can catch 5 trout a day and eat them, why can't I put one in a tank? Are they afraid of mutation?
I would just check with local fish and game.

BobBursek

Ya, I would check with them, large sporting good stores im many stated have tanks, I would think a permit of some type is needed.

l3fty999

Ya, I would check with them, large sporting good stores im many stated have tanks, I would think a permit of some type is needed.

I wonder if it depends on whether or not you're a private indivdual or a business. Cabela's mantains those tanks of theirs as a promotional item. Government sees this as,"Wow, if we let them do this, they will have more customers and therefore we will reap the benefits in the form of sales and business tax". Any thoughts on this? I mean, it's sad that money always is more important than science, which includes biology and chemistry. Any thoughts on this?

Take care
Aaron