Nate's 40 breeder build

nate21887

Starting a new reef tank and just picked this up last week...
IMAG0353.jpg

My new 40 breeder with a 20 long sump. That's a DIY stand someone else made, I'm gonna make my own as to my preferences.
The plan is:
Mag 5 return pump
Glassholes 700 GPH overflow kit
2 3/4 in. Returns
Reef octopus skimmer
2 koralia evolution 1050

The sump is gonna be a 3 chamber with a fuge divided, one half fuge and one half chaeto chamber.

ChrisOaty

If I had to do things over again, I'd have gotten a 40 breeder. Such a great tank. Semi shallow for great light penetration, nice and wide for easy rock. And no center brace for easy overflow placement. Nice choice there man. Take your time, read, and ask questions. And welcome to RS.

nate21887

Thanks for the warm welcome! I got the needlewheel skimmer rated for 100gph, its on order at my LFS and I forgot the specific model. Hopefuly it will be here next week sometime. I'm really getting anxious because after the skimmer purchase I'm ordering my overflow kit...then its time to drill this baby!

nate21887

Well since the tank was bought used thought an initial leak test was in order...
IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

Everything went seemingly well so hopefuly get to order my overflow kit this weekend.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I got the needlewheel skimmer rated for 100gph, its on order at my LFS and I forgot the specific model. Hopefuly it will be here next week sometime. I'm really getting anxious because after the skimmer purchase I'm ordering my overflow kit...then its time to drill this baby!

Nice! I just hooked up the Reef Octopus BH 1000 on my 40. It's the HOB model rated for 100g.

Good idea on the leak test.

nate21887

So just a small update: The stand was built around the sump tank trapping it in, so that had to be taken apart. Glad I had to do it though because the stand was built pretty poorly, probably avoided a big disaster there. Next step is gonna be leak testing and cleaning the sump sometime this week as well as ordering my overflow/return kits online.

I didn't want to chance it without at least seeing this thing hold water. Also might be a slight diverge from the original plan for a skimmer, I'm doing a possible trade this weekend for some equipment that includes an ASM G2 skimmer so may use that instead of purchasing a new one.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
That looks familiar :D I have had many tanks in the kitchen doing work and leak tests :D ol lady hates it :D

Looks great :D

nate21887

Lol she doesn't mind as long as I don't scratch the floors, in her mind its better than on the carpets in the living room lol

nate21887

Update: I traded my 120 gallon this weekend for this...

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0373.jpg

Here is a picture of the rock scape for the moment
IMAG0374.jpg

So this is a temporary home for everything until the 40 is up and running. In with the trade I also got a ASM G2 skimmer and a ATO system, so that is gonna be for the 40 too.
Caught a great deal at the LFS, it had a building shut down sale and marked everything half off so picked up the rest of the equipment that could be bought locally. So now to order the overflow kit, build the stand, and order the glass for the sump. Anyone got advice on how to accurately measure the inside tank dimensions for the glass dividers in a 20L?

seabass

Great start.Them 40g breeders are a awsome tank.If you want to measure for glass one way to do it is measure the outside of the tank and take out for the thickness of the glass and then you need to leave alittle for the silicone to get between the glass,so if it measures 12'' and the glass is a 1/8'' thick x 2 sides and then take out a 1/8'' for the silicone,so that would be 11 5/8 for the glass as far as the height of the glass you want to figure out what the skimmer needs for depth to run properly.You can look up melevsreef and he shows some cool sumps and how he built it and the functions of everything.Happy reefing!!!Hope i helped a bit.Mike.

nate21887

Yea mike that helps, seems pretty simple. I believe the skimmer needs 8 in. to run, I'm planning 10 in. baffles and making a small stand for the skimmer.

rgfast

looking good Nate, that skimmer should do well with your 40. When you go to buy silecone I'd go to your local Napa autoparts store and get their clear RTV, they don't use any mildew stuff in automotive products

nate21887

Oh, good idea! I never thought of that, and I worked at an auto part store for over a year lol I'm assuming you've already done this with good results then?

nate21887

Just awaiting the overflow kit for now...going to the depot this weekend for glass for the sump and lumber for the stand. Hoping this thing will be wet very soon.

nate21887

Ok so picked up the glass for my baffles, anybody have tips or tricks to hold them in place to silicone them. Also getting ready to go get plumbing supplies for it and need advice on how to connect the pump to the vinyl tubing, is there a fitting I need or just put the line on the threads with a hose clamp?

Thespivster

Home depot will have a fitting back in the sprinkler head section. If you put the line over the threaded part it will leak. Remember a thread is basically one groove from top to bottom. They will have ones specifically for flexible tubing, I used books to hold up my baffles with just a few spots of silicone until they dried enough to hold it in place and then went back and put a full bead.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

nate21887

Thanks, do I need to know the measurement of the threads? I reckon I can just take it with me...I got small shopping list for today so I should everything covered but the stand after today!