nasty catfish!!!!

ostromk45

I have a 40 gallon freshwater with a large bull head catfish a large pleco and 2 other large fish. My problem is catfish are very dirty I clean the tank and one day later the filters are so clogged water barely flows threw two days later and there is lots of poo all over the bottom. I so sick of the tank being nasty all the time I want to get rid of the catfish but my wife wont let me. Is there anything I can do to solve this?

ostromk45

I have no idea the brand but its for a 50 gallon it is pretty old though. I have had it around 9 years and I dont know how long my dad had it before that lol.

PEMfish

Too small. On a set up like this I would aim for filtration rated for 80-120 gallons.

You also need to be doing weekly 20% water changes.

Keep in mind that the tank just might not be big enough for that fish.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I have had those catfist and they are messy as suggest above go with larger filtration but you may also want to consider a larger tank, although that is just a though not sure of the size of your fish but if they are large the tank is probably to small.

StirCrayzy

Do you Have any undergravel Filter setup? They aren't real pretty, but functional.
That alone almost doubles the time my cartridge filters will take to clog ( Magnum 350 and Whisper 40).

+1 on tank too small, The Cat and Pleco alone being 10"+ fish as adult +2 more "big" fish (8" ish adults ?)