Naso Tang not eating his veggies

Quantrill

Hey y'all,

I picked up a Naso Tang the other day. He's eating meaty foods just fine but won't touch any of the Seaweed Selects Green or Brown algae. I've tried soaking it in some Entice too. I want to make sure he get's his veggies so he'll stay healthy. Any ideas?

Thanks
David

BigFish11

If you have just picked him up he might be still getting used to his new diggs, just give him some time.
Has he been picking at your rocks?

keithrett

My yellow tang didn't show any interest in dried seaweed until about 3-4 after he was introduced to the tank. I do believe he nibbled at some of the meaty foods like you said your tang does. If he was introduced to the tank yesterday he may still be adjusting to the tank.

Best of luck,
keith

Quantrill

Cool, I'll just wait him out and see how he does then. Aside form that he seems to be adjusting well. Hiding less and less each day!

DaveK

You can also try feeding nori to your tank. That is those green paper like sheets they use to wrap some types of sushi in. It's usually available in your grocery store or an Asian food market.

Quantrill

No more calls please, we have a winner! Got up this morning and the brown algae I put in the clip was gone. Maybe he waited until lights out to do munchin'? Just put a new piece in and he's already nibbling on that! :)

cbrownfish

Yeah, it typically comes down to placement of the algae and how comfortable the fish is with the location. Pinning some algae/nori in the rockwork or under the edge of a rock can be helpful until the fish is comfy with the new environment.