Nano Reef Skimmer for RSM 250 Help!

K L R

I purchased a nano reef skimmer that is custom made to fit in the RSM 250-where the stock skimmer fits. It was very easy to assemble, but I am having one major issue.

The skimmer is overflowing with primarily water. This has been going on for almost a week now so I assume it is not just the chemicals from the acrylic used to build the skimmer messing with it.

Has anyone else had this issue? What should I do to fix it?

TIA

tnwillia

My help is two years old, I don't know what new changes have been made since I got mine.... so... It took mine a month to really break in. Raise the body as high as possible to control the overflow. If that doesn't work, I'd just take off the cup and let it run till it starts to calm down. If you have the 2 pump model turn one off and you should see the bubble colum fall. Running one pump will still break it in and may let you put the cup back in place during this period. Good luck!

i run one pump on mine.. i ended up using the top position.. no bubbles come out of the control tube that way..

I also took some half inch pipe and made a pad on the bottom for it to sit on to raise it up...

Water is at 4th bar form the top...

Those 3 things let me run my nano reef skimmer like a champ... I really like it!

tnwillia

I don't use mine any more but it was a beast of beasts skimmer. I have SN#1. They've changed a lot I'm guessing. Have fun!

K L R

Ok thank you all for the informative responses! I am going to try the turning of 1 pump method first. Should it be raised out of the water some, or will it function fine where it is at/how it was custom made?

tnwillia

I'm guessing turning off one pump will give you a good drop in the bubble column and you can try to control it from there as built. Good luck!

I still had to raise mine.. even with 1 pump. i leave the adjusting tube in the OPEN position and it puts the bubbles right underneath the cup.

Good Luck!

Here are some pics on the height.. it's right at the top.. I can still close the lid.

20120528_172249.jpg

20120528_172236.jpg

20120528_172224.jpg

tnwillia

That looks about right for where I ran my dual pumps day to day. Some found with your design they never needed the second pump, one jot the job done. This skimmer's come a long way, here are a couple of pictures of the very first RSM250 and first Sump builds way back down this road. Have fun with it!

DSC01748.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00742.jpg

K L R

So did you have to remove the lid from the hood and the new skimmer sticks out of the hood?

Nope, the new design fits under the lid so you can keep the whole hood in tact.

The single pump method is working great! It is actually skimming the water now!