Nano-Reef Fish List

Cavinca

So I've been looking around for something like this. This is a list of fish compared with tank size. I am finding it very helpfull. I know there are many fish on this list that you guys dont agree with being in specific tank sizes, but its a good starting point. Every site i look for fish on has only pics and names until you open the profiles... I hate getting excited about a fish only to find out i need 200 gallons to get him to "live long and prosper"

lgreen's Ultimate Nano Fish Guide - Nano-Reef.com Forums

lcstorc

It may be a starting place but I would move them all up at least one group. A snowflake eel in a 24? A puffer in a 24 with 2 other fish?
Scary what they are recommending.

Cavinca

yes some are. many of the guys on the nano forums are complete opposite from you guys... im torn.

Last edited:

lcstorc

It is always better to error to the side of caution particularly when a life is at stake. At least that is my opinion.

lcstorc

I agree it is a starting point for things like you describe. It can certainly help keep you from falling in love with a fish that needs a 200g tank. If that is the goal then it is a good place. I would just move everything up a category at least. A lot also depends on maintenance. There are really 2 things you need to think about. The biological load and the swimming room. If you do very frequent water changes then you can get away with a bit more on the biological load and just have to worry about swimming room.

Cavinca

thats a good point. i know you probably dont have this answer but how do sites like liveaquaria and marinedept live rate the tank sizes needed? by bioload, by swimming room, personal experience?....

BEELZEBOB

thats retarded.

you should never keep a fish in a .5 gallon pico.

id really like to kick those dude in the keister for flooding the internet w/ such falty info.

i wonder how many poor fish have sufferd due to that list?

Cavinca

i definitly agree with you there.. nothing should be kept in something that small. honestly i dont feel there should be anything in a tank under 5 gallons... but thats me. i hate the typical goldfish bowl..

lcstorc

thats a good point. i know you probably dont have this answer but how do sites like liveaquaria and marinedept live rate the tank sizes needed? by bioload, by swimming room, personal experience?....

I really don't know. I don't think it can be personal experience. There are just too many fish and they are generally kept in small containers waiting to be sold. I use the recommendations as a general guideline. Particularly on the bio-load. I overskim and do frequent water changes so I can stretch that a bit. The swimming room is the bigger concern. When you are talking more than one fish you also have to worry about compatibility. Fish that can be kept together in a large system may tear each other up in a small system.

I do agree with no fish in a .5g pico and I have seen maroon clowns that could barely even fit in a 24 forget be happy there. At best they are talking about juviniles of the fish listed and then you have to constantly replace fish with new babies.

Cavinca

how far can you take these "guidelines" though, without being scruitinized by fellow hobbyist or more importantly killing these beautiful animals.

i found something that bothers me immensely..

marine depot live has a mandarin

they say that the minimum tank for this animal is a 20 gallon.. later on the same page they mention that it should not be kept in anything smaller than 75 gallons and MUST have a refugium

which is it? and how would an inexperienced hobbyist know the difference..

lcstorc

IMO that is what forums like this are for. We share our knowledge and perspnal experiences with each other and that is how we learn.
The one thing to keep in mind is that if they are trying to sell something to you they are rarely looking out for your best interests or that of the animals. There are of course exceptions that are wonderful to see but you want to always do you own research and not rely on that of someone trying to sell you something.

Cavinca

ok... well i got a question then.. earlier i asked about the sixline wrasse goin in my 28 gallon tank. i was told they were not good in a tank that small. liveaquaria says A 30 gallon tank. after doing my own research reading books and sites... a 10 gallon seems very acceptable to these animals when kept single. why does liveaquaria say a 30G. and when people ask about a fish on this forum, why are they usually the final answer to the persons question. is liveaquaria pretty much dead on with their aquarium sizes?