Nano/pico tank with no skimmer?

JoJo

I've been checking out small tanks that LFS have set up and none of them have skimmers, just a HOB filter (with filter floss, carbon and LR rubble). I asked how long they've been set up, one store said 6mos and the other said over a year. Both had 2 small clown fish and said they just do small w/c each week and clean the filters. The tanks look awesome, and i'd like to have something simple like that but i'm not sure if there's more to the story or if those tanks will look like crap in another year or two. One was a 5g the other 10g. I found a few similar set ups on online:

deco-reef-2-gallon__39159_zoom__42217_zoom.jpg

In recent studies it shows that protien skimmers are actually more problematic than their worth.
Small tanks are hard to balance so if you decide to set one up I would do atleast ten gal , my tank has stayed very balanced but the main problem is evap other than that it's great !
As soon as I find the it I will post a link to the site that conducted the test.

JoJo

Thanks for the response. The protein skimmer debate has been going on for years, it all depends on who you ask... I'd do a 10g but no larger, I had a 135dt, 90g sump & 20g refugium (which was easier on stability, but hard on evap and cost) so I want something smaller...5-10g would be ideal. I may just do a 5 or 10g and use a 2g I have as a fuge and get a small skimmer if needed.

DaveK

On a small tank, there is really no need for a skimmer. It's easy enough to keep up with things just by doing partial water changes. For example, if you make a 5 gal water change on a 10 gal tank, you have just changed half the water.

Now if we were talking about a large tank, say 70 gal, then it would be a different story. You would more than likely want a skimmer on a tank that size.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Just b prepared to change half the water weekly. See my earlier thread.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

JoJo

On a small tank, there is really no need for a skimmer. It's easy enough to keep up with things just by doing partial water changes. For example, if you make a 5 gal water change on a 10 gal tank, you have just changed half the water.

Now if we were talking about a large tank, say 70 gal, then it would be a different story. You would more than likely want a skimmer on a tank that size.

Thanks for you input.

Just b prepared to change half the water weekly. See my earlier thread.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

What thread are you referring to?

GlassMunky

I've had my 14G biocube (10G actually volume with displacement) up and running for well over a year now with literally only a small bag of carbon, the LR in the display and bi-weekly WC's. ABSOLUTLY no need for a skimmer on a tank that small.

chelseagrin

in y room i dont have a single tank thats over 5 gallons. ive got two 3 gallon dwarf seahorse tanks a 5 gallon sps tank and a 1 gallon pico mixed reef type ting. i only have a filter on the 5 gallon and on all the others i just do water changes every 3 days or so. i never use protein skimmers even on my larger tanks i have set up. they are a pain in the butt unless you get a really nice one. and even then they are not even comparable to a sump or fuge.

lzrlvr

hi i have a 3 gal nano i never change the water i replace so much due to evaporation i do not need to do water changes but i do have to make sure the salinity stays somewhat stable.