Nano cube

sirllamas

I just purchased the 24 gal. nano. Do I need to buy or change out any of the stock equipment that came with it? I plan to have some coral and few fish.

dobejazz

For a reef tank it is recommended to remove the rings and bio balls. Live rock and regular (weekly) waterchanges are all you really need. Some people recommend removing the sponges. I have kept mine in but rinse them when I do waterchanges.

ReefLady

Staff member
You may want to start with the sponges removed as you cycle the tank, and add them back later if you feel the need for mechanical filtration.

gussy

The sponge have to be cleaned twice weekly if you have more than one tiny fish. I remove mine as it was doing too much.

daveat

i have a nano cube and want to know what your reasoning is behind removing the sponge... don't you want something to collect all the crap in the tank?????????????

oh yeah... i clean mine once a week when i do a water change... 3 gal. every sat.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
daveat said:
i have a nano cube and want to know what your reasoning is behind removing the sponge... don't you want something to collect all the crap in the tank?????????????

oh yeah... i clean mine once a week when i do a water change... 3 gal. every sat.

It is important to clean the sponges, micron socks, etc... several times per week to prevent the diterus from dissolving into the water column. Try to clean it twice weekly if possible.

I prefer Skimming and siphoning out the diterus to remove organics and only use a sponge filter for one day when I do water changes and blow off the rocks.

gussy

Spong needs to be clean every few days. And for the amount of work...doesn't help too much. I could use that space for something more important...like water.