Mystery Wrasse Help!!!

Nanoreefbro

I have a Mystery Wrasse that has been in my tank for 7 months.. He has been fine until now.. That last couple of days he has been hiding in the back of the tank.. Every once in a while he will swim out and then goes right to the back.. Well today I was able to get a good look at him and his eyes are white. Does anyone know what is that? Is it treatable??::confused:

aquaman3680

it could be a couple of different things. It could be that he is blind or it could be that he is developing pop eye. Either way he cant see very well so it is likely he will die of starvation caused by not being able to see.

JMHO

Matt

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Popeye is usually a result of injury or bacterial infection, are the eyes swollen ? Have you added any new fish to the tank ? What are your parameters ?

Nanoreefbro

Well I got up this morning and he was already dead.. I added a new Tang that was quarantined and my other fish are fine..:tears:

lcstorc

Either increase the air exchange in the tank or add a ph buffer. If there is excess co2 in the water that will decrease the ph.

Nanoreefbro

I'm not running C02.. I did increase the flow in my tank a few weeks ago by turning up the powerhead all the way.. I've been getting alot of hair algae as well..

lcstorc

I wasn't actually talking about running co2. If you don't have enough aeration in the tank or the house you will get excess co2 in the water which will lower your ph. Try increasing the surface agitation of the tank or opening some windows. That usually helps.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The ph could be low because your alk is low or you have high co2 levels. What you could do is drip kalkwasser to help raise your ph. What are your parameters ? How big is our tank and which skimmer are you using ?

Nanoreefbro

The ph could be low because your alk is low or you have high co2 levels. What you could do is drip kalkwasser to help raise your ph. What are your parameters ? How big is our tank and which skimmer are you using ?

It's a 50 Gal.. I am using a ASM G1X..

Nanoreefbro

Are your RO membranes good?
I have a mystry wrasse and their one of the hardiest fish I have come by. Good luck

I'm going to check that but I also have a 110 gal tank and I haven't had any issues with it.. Just this one.. I just increased the flow inside the tank so I am hoping that will help.. Also going to be doing more frequent water changes as well..