mysis????

Ivabell

hi does anyone no how long 1 kg of mysis shrimp and 1 kg of brine shrimp would last 2 seahorses i have been told that they are h.reidi and are captive bred from sri lanka i havent brought them yet there still at the LFS i havent got my tank yet either it gets here in two weeks and its a RSM130
thanks

lcstorc

Sorry nobody has responded, but personally I have no idea.
Your best bet would be to talk to the breeder and see if they can give you an idea.
I can tell you that there tends to be a lot of waste unless you feed one shrimp at a time. They are just too slow to catch a bunch of food at one time.
I would also have your LFS prove that they are eating frozen food before you buy them. Unfortunately most do not and slowly starve.

NoUsername2use

ummm if you already bought the seahorses and you havent even got the tank then it wont even be cycled and those horses are going to have a good chance of not getting to try that mysis/brine, though my horses love both!!

Ivabell

i havent brought the seahorses or the frozen mysis yet i was just wondering how long 1kg of mysis would last after i start feeding them it...and thank yous all for the replys ill ask them to show me that the horses are feeding first

Ducky

hi, i have lots of seahorses and have form many years. i do not know how to compare your measurement (kg) to the packs here in America which are small cubes about thumb nail size. 1 cube per 2 seahorses , 2 times a day.
This is a good average that my seahorse keeping friends and i use. hope this helps you.
You are smart to get all your expenses and suppliers in line before buying the seahorses. Good luck to you.
Ducky

Ivabell

thanks ducky are the packets that you get with the cubes the 100g packets we have those here but i just wanted to buy the 1kg packet so i didnt have to travel back and forth to rotorua so often..how many cubes are in the packet that you buy?
thanks ivabell

Ducky

Yes, they are 100 g packs .There are 30 cubes per pack. We have the "flat packs" also. It is more economical and should think you could estimate a thimble or thumbnail size for feeding.
At any rate, you will want to observe and see just how much your horses eat. The 1 cube (or thimble full) is just an average.
Ducky

BarbMazz

I feed my 2 h erectus 2 Hikari mysis cubes twice per day. I use a half clam shell as a feeding dish so it's easy to see how much they eat.I turn the filter pump off so the food stays in place while they eat.

Some people feed 3 or 4 times per day. I'm sorry but I don't know the amounts fed. PM me if you want more info about that.

I also treat them with live sw mysid shrimp about once a month. They love that!