My Zoos are closing....

Gumby

For some reason unknown to me, my zooas, the brown with green insides, are not all opening like they should.

Two weeks ago, they started this half open, half closed thing. I watched them and then thought that since my frogspawn was grown and they were close that I shoudl move htem. I put htem on the ground next to other zooas and they are still doing the same thing.

Water params are all exactly where they should be (I dont have the numbers but will get them tonight).

Any thoughts....fresh water dip?

Reddog170

Has anything changed in the last few weeks in your tank? Have you added anything to your tank? Do you dose with anything? There are a LOT of possibilities here that may be the cause. Think we may need more info to help without just making guesses.

Gumby

Nothing changed inside the tank.

I bought this rather large (30+) polyps of zooas and then fragged the crap out of them and stuck them in the tank,but that is the only change.

lcstorc

May or may not be relevant but are you running carbon? The frags could be releasing a toxin.

mzreenie

I had the same problem this morning with my zoas not opening and I discovered that one of my T5 bulbs is not working. All my other corals look OK. Are your lights OK?

Gumby

I bought a carbon bag about a week ago and have put it in my filtration bag. Maybe I shoudl ad another?

untilthen

Look at the zoas closesly to c if there is any thing on the polyps such as nudie or odd bumps... Also do a water change... Like lc said it's most likely a toxin... Also make sure no livestock is climbin on em

Gumby

Update....I just got bck onto RS as the christmas season in my household is friggen crazy. I hope that all of your christmas' were as enjoyable as mine.

Several of my zoo colonys are acting this way, my orange cream ones are almost done. One of my gsp's are not as green as the other and its under a bulb that is going to be replaced (I have taken notice to what is under what bulb).I will be getting new lights before the weekend is out.

I also noticed today that one of my Koralia's motors died. It coudl have happened today or may have been on its way out for some time. It will be replaced as well.

I have a carbon bag in there, but it is several weeks old, do you think I should put a new on in?

Is there something I should be doing to the corals after i have fragged them before putting them back into my tank? This may have been a process that i have missed.

thanks for all your help

Gumby

BLAKEJOHN

I suggest replacing your carbon an a weekly basis. It does sound like a toxin issue being that you just fragged them. I would replace your carbon.

AnimeFan2

Do you have access to a 2 little fishes reactor? Put carbon in it to force the water through it versus using the bag method. Putting carbon in a bag is nowhere near as effective as running it through a reactor.