My upcoming 90 build equipment list

Ordering a 90 gallon soon and trying to plan my equipment list. Any help would be great!

Mag 9.5 return pump
Reef Octopus 110 INT skimmer
2x. evergrow. IT2040 LED lights
1x. Jebao rw-8 is this enough flow?
Reef keeper lite plus
300w titanium heater?

DaveK

Overall your equipment selection is good. Here are a few of my thoughts.

You might want an additional LED lighting fixture, but this will depend upon what you want to keep in the tank.

I'd recommend larger flow pumps than the Jebao rw-8 for a reef system. Those are the sort of thing I use on my 90 gal FW planted tank for flow.

Save the money on the Reef Keeper controller lite for now. It's nice, but hardly critical. Get that once you have the tank going and really have something you need to control. You may want the larger controller more complex controller at that time.

Thanks
I am trying to minimize the powerhead footprint as they are ugly.

For the rkl my plans were to run ato, heater and skimmer (rkl with switch for the ato)

DaveK

Due to the price, I assume you got the Reef Keeper Elite used. If this is the case, you should replace the pH and ORP probes, since they have a limited life. Other than that, you got a good price, and it will do lots more than the Lite.

Have an opportunity to pick up a complete used system. At 1350 what do you think?

75 gallon Deep blue Aquarium with corner overflow

Black stand with front and side door

Black canopy

ADHI Refugium Sump with light.

Blue Line External return pump, with valves and pipe.

Reef Octopus Skimmer

Media reactor with pump

Acan Lighting Fully programmable LEDs

Two Vortech MP-10 propeller pumps

DaveK

When your looking at used equipment you want do make sure that you are actually getting a good deal on it. This usually means evaluating the equipment and considering it you can live with it or you would replace it. For example, in what is being offered, I would likely want to replace the lighting and maybe the sump. Because of this, they are worth nothing to me. Also, anything that is broken is worth very little. Sometimes you just can't get the replacement part you need. Also, consider parts you will need to replace. For example if it's T5 lighting, you'll need to replace the bulbs.

For everything that you will use, figure out what it would cost new and total it up. Deduct for any replacement parts you will need. Generally I figure used equipment in more or less perfect condition is worth only about 60% of the new price, maybe a little more if it never been used and less as it shows more wear and tear.

Then once you figure out what it's worth, consider the asking price and see if it's close to what you figured. You'll sometimes find your getting a great deal, other times the seller wants way mor than the equipment is worth.

The bottom line is that there is no yes or no answer to your question, because of all the factors outlined above. You might be content with equipment that I would feel needs to be replaced. The condition of the equipment may be better or worse than expected.

bullet

i would go with the eshopps s 150 instead of the reef octopus its cheaper and quieter we have been running ours for a month now it only took 2 days to get it dialed in

Thanks!
Working on a sump design, thoughts on this? Need to keep it Around 36" wide to allow for a ATO tank.
c39b303153513a0e0dcbd7f613c8f821.jpg

puffermike

The only skimmers I've bought have been eshopps and so far they've both worked great. Very easy to take apart/simple to clean designs. They are not very loud and are good quality for the price. Show us what you're planning to do with each section in that sump and we can help you more. Be sure to have enough clearance for whatever skimmer you do go with. That means width and height, including removing the cup itself. If you can bite the bullet I'd go for the eshopps 300. You might find yourself upgrading again in the near future and that's just one less thing you'll have to buy for your upgrade and a serious workhorse for your current size plan.

You're looking at a 60-100$ price difference depending on where you buy it for twice the capacity. It's well worth it.

http://www.pet-discount-store.com/product/11221/es82835-eshopps-in-sump-protein-skimmer.aspx?gclid=CK3KpPuc_MICFUEV7AodZE4Avg

DaveK

The sump design looks good. When you build something like this, I recommend you set up the plumbing and fill the tank with fw and test it all out for several days to a week. This lets you be sure you got everything right. Often with DIY projects there are things that are not quite right and they are a lot easier to fix if you can just drain the water and discard it.