My tank is almost 'done'

rDr4g0n

a new addition!!!

clowngoby2.jpg

hes my cute yellow clown goby :)

rDr4g0n

OMG, Sleeping Beauty has arisen! Your new addition is nice too!:lol:

lol sleeping beauty!? and yes i am alive... i just havent been posting as frequently as usual. ive been busy working 2 jobs and playing video games.

my tank is doing great. ive got the levels perfect, nearly eradicated the cyano (in the pic you can see a tiny bit that is left), and my coralline is taking off like crazy. next step is to get my calcium and alk just right and start dripping kalk. well.. before that id like to add another 30lbs of LR, but im poor!!! arg!

then after live rock, i wanna add a bunch of monitporas... and the money cycle continues.

Last edited:

rDr4g0n

ive added a small frag of star polyps that i got for $5. there are about 7 polyps. ill post some pics later.

oh and my lfs finally got some knowledgable employees! woot! they are setting stuff up CORRECTLY so the health of the corals and fish has vastly improved! theyre also pretty cool with me so theyre cutting great deals on frags and stuff. as soon as i get another 45lbs or so of LR i plan to get some nice montiporas (both cap and digi).

im also considering selling my cardinals and replacing them with a 3 or 5 fairy flasher wrasses. the problem is that those fish are $50 each.... i can dream at least.

rDr4g0n

Really nice! Hey Dr4gon, what are those circular things with clear tentacles next to the pretty red algae?

its a coral that came on my live rock (along with lots of other stuff both good and bad). im told its a cup coral. They have a hard "cup" that they extend their polyps from. the polyps are transparent except for the tiny white specs that you can see in the pic. at night they extend their polyps nearly 3 inches, and it looks pretty coo. :) here are some other pics of them...

this is a larger group, but they are much smaller (about 1/4 inch across)
cupcorals2.jpg

and the ones that are on the rock with the red algae
cupcoral.jpg

and when i first got them in january on my LR. you can also see a beautiful blue sponge that didnt make it :(
coral2.jpg

rDr4g0n

hey everyone here are some updates on my tankity tank. i finally got a calcium and alk test kit... ive been reading up on aquarium chemistry and the relationship between calcium, alk and ph. anyways, latest test is ph-8.3, alk-9 (dkh or something... i forgot, but its the right range lol), and calcium 350. so my calcium is low... i may start doing kalk or some sorta calcium suppliment sometime soon to keep the calcium up, but the hard part (alk and ph) is pretty much right on lol.

i also got a gorgeous trachyphillia for $15 :)
trachy.jpg

and first thing in the morning with feeding polyps extended
trachy2.jpg

and my clown has been hosting in a feather duster. the clowns a little rough sometimes, but the feather just pulls into his tube when the clown irritates him.
clown-in-feather.jpg

and here are some other recent shots of my tank.
fulltank8.jpg

clown-hangin-out.jpg

and finally, my plans for coral arrangement.
coralidea.jpg

you cant really see the star polyps in the pic, but i have a small frag of them on that top rock. im hoping theyll take over that whole top rock, the zoos will take the whole bottom left rock (so far theyre doing pretty well) and the mushies (and possibly ricordias in the future) will take the whole right rock. this little polyp island will be separate from the additional live rock that i intend to add which i want to attach monti digi and monti caps to.

also inthe full tank shot you may notice some masses of red macro algaes. these guys just showed up one day and have been growin like crazy. the stuff on the left is a long blade like macro the i started calling dragon kelp because the blades are kinda crinkled up like dragons in flight. the other stuff i think is red grape caulerpa. my fuge has a bunch of it, but i dont have enough light in the fuge to support much macro growth just yet.

oh, i also added a torch that you can see in teh full tank shot. the poor guys started life in the pet store with like 6 branches, and when i bought him (for $5) he was down to one branch, that was broken. hes improved since i bought him, but has yet to full extend. at least he is no longer receding. the nearly dead hammer i bought from the same pet store is improving very slowly. it seems that euphillias are just really tricky corals that take forever to grow and heal.

and thats the update!

MatesonG

just some new pics with a new camera (14 megapixels!!!)

cup-coral-and-red-macros.jpg

What's the red stuff on the left? The red algae on the right is red macro-algae right?

Anyway, AWESOME 29g man! I just built my skimmer, your tread really helped out a lot! running it on my 55 and will transfer it to the new 75g once it gets going!

Mat