My sponges. Can anyone ID the branching one?

TomV

I've had these sponges in my 55g for years now. They survived the power outage disaster (4 days without power in the middle of winter) which killed off just about everything else at the time. They are survivors for sure and definitely weird.

Please excuse my camera as it has something wrong with the lens (probably scratches, etc.

First, here are the ball-like ones--- called Syconoid sponges.

DSCF2928.jpg

It's kind of tough to make them out because of the camera issue, but you get the general idea. These are "spongy" to the touch. So, I know they're alive. Plus, they have reproduced a little.

Next up are two pictures of two branching white sponges and I have no idea what they are. They are bright white and they like the lighting in my tank which is moderate. They didn't seem to mind the Metal Halide when it was hooked up either!

DSCF2941.jpg

DSCF2925.jpg

These strange beings have been with my live rock since I picked it up back in 2004! When they were in the 29g, they grew so much that it resembled a white thicket! These are in several spots in my tank. From what I can tell, I have 15-20 of these scattered around my tank. I'll bet there are even more in back of, and under, my LR. I have no idea what they are, but they seem to like my water. When I got the rock from Reeflady, back in 2004, she had huge versions of these in her sump! I am guessing that this hardy sponge species came from them. Like I said, these sponges are definitely extremely hardy and have gone through the worst conditions possible during the power outage disaster.

In the top picture, you can see from that small area how many feather dusters I have in the 55g! There are thousands of them! Now, if could get some shrooms and have them survive and multiply like that! :thumbup: :invisible

The Darkish Red substance you can see on the rocks in the second picture is the Red Encrusting Sponge that has also multiplied like crazy in the tank!

I'm just at a loss as to what they are. I would definitely like to research them and learn where they come from on the reef, what their internal structure is, etc. Maybe then I will be able to figure out how these wonderful creatures survived through my disasters, neglect, and blundering.

TomV

Ok, I did a little work on the lens of my camera and got it to come out a bit clearer.

Here are the mutated looking Sponges and a pic of the Red Encrusting Sponge with a bunch of Feather Dusters in the same area.

DSCF2979.jpg

DSCF2977.jpg

DSCF2964.jpg

If anyone knows what those branching white sponges are, let me know! :D

DrHank

Wish I knew because I have a rock with what appears to be the same stuff (only almost twice as long). They are interesting but I have no idea what they are.

TomV

Well, I've gone over many web pages on sponges and I still haven't been able to ID the white branching ones.

Melanie

I can't help either, but I saw this post this morning and checked back tonight to see if you had an ID yet.