My slow 135g build

hma

Wit- i didnt even do a FW dip because after reading and observing the fish it didnt seem like ich because the spots disappeared within days without any treatment.

Thanks Frankie, i'm hoping all i've gone through so far is making me stronger and smarter. i dont plan on repeating any of my mistakes.

Heinz-i only use water from my RO system but i did check my TDS meter today and the outgoing water is 40ppm, so now i'm wondering if that was the cause.

Greg everything you said is very true. thanks for all your support

I don't think so JoJo. My question referred to the FW dip but you did not make it.

framerguy

wouldnt 40ppm in the reef be enough to cause damage to the fish and inverts?
I doubt it JoJo, Craig Manoukin had TDS in the upper 30 range in his tap water if I remember correctly and said he didn't even need an RODI unit. What is your reading before the RODI unit? My unit cleans my water into the 15TDS range. Remember fish are much tougher than corals when it comes to water quality. I can't offer an explantion or even a guess as to what caused your problems. You have my support and friendship though and I hope that helps some.

JoJo

thanks Greg. i will have to get it under control now because i do plan on having corals in the future. so your corals look that nice with a 15 TDS range? thats inspiring.

JoJo

i'm noticing red cyano on a piece of LR also green cyano and coraline algea on some of the base rock. i'm thinking the cyano is from being without a skimmer for a couple of weeks even though i was doing frequent 5g water changes (every 1-2 days) and lightly feeding. i have been trying to get the Sedra pump i ordered to fit the Turboflotor Greg gave me but i had to add a T fitting on the out let on it and its causing microbubbles int the DT. not to mention its not fitting well on the skimmer. so i think i will be ordering the pump that comes with the skimmer

JoJo

i just hooked up the pump Greg sent with the skimmer, the motor had froze up but i accidentally dropped it and now its working...go figure, problem solved

framerguy

Man, I am SO glad you got it working! I was feeling really guilty for talking you into the different pump, but reading again it seems you used the pump I sent with it. I'm not sure how long it will last, it is very tired but maybe dropping it was all it needed! The skimmer works great when the pump is working properly, I wish you lots of nasty goop my friend!

JoJo

LOL, thanks Greg. i will ride it out until it spins its last turn. and Diane magnet idea sounds like it would help keep it going.

JoJo

Thanks Varga. yea, i was starting to get some small patches of it the last time i looked but i havent had time to look at the tank in the last couple of days so there's no telling what it looks like now.

Hey Craig, whats up buddy?

JoJo

some good news. the cyano seems to be getting under control, there's only half as much there as before. i believe i have found some HHs, one a blue starfish thats about 1/8", right now its on a piece of the base rock but it looks like its a sandsifter star. on the same base rock it looks like a xenia is starting to grow...on a base rock?

one of the lovely ladies on here ID one of my pics a an Pineapple Anemones and said they were harmless, well they have grown and multiplied can i just scrape them off or what?

oh, i almost forgot. last night i got my first cupful of skimmate from the Turboflotor...actually my first cup of skimmate EVER since this is the first skimmer that was crap.

JoJo

a quick shot of skimmate from the Turboflotor, the first cupful was dark green, thick and REALLY stunk. this cup is more watery, and a light green

JoJo

i'm making this 18g rubbermaid tub into fuge so i added a 3/4" bulkhead about 5" from the top for the return to the sump and cut a notch in the top of the supply line. i also cut the lid so i can use it to divide the tub because i want to have the supply side to hold the chaeto and the drain side to have a DSB with mangroves and/or sea grass. any ideas?

can i use aquarium sealant to hold the divider in place or do i have to use Weldon?