My slow 135g build

JoJo

ok, i figured out the skimmer. when i replaced the skimmer, i placed it too low. now its full of bubbles, so hopefully we can get some of the nasties out.

framerguy

I like the rock work. I also plan on an open middle area, and maybe a cliff on one side.

Is it possible to vent the skimmer air intake to outside air? My old skimmer started working better once I did that.

It's cool how similar our builds are!

framerguy

Is that a good thing? Didn't you have bubble algae issues, Greg? :D

(sorry, couldn't resist... :lol: )
:laughroll :surrender: NO! I won't in the new one, I'm determined. I don't even want any of the water or sand from the old system. I also want to quarantine everyone before they go in the new one.

JoJo

Thanks Greg, i take it as a compliment that you think my set up is similar to yours. i dont really have access to outside air for the skimmer but since i did some tweaking its working pretty good. i have some light green liquid in the cup.

Terry, we're only thinking positive here :lol:

i'll start testing tonight and post the result.

JoJo

here are the test results

Ph: 8.4
Nh4: .25
NO2: .25
NO3: 10
SG: 1.26

to the SG seems high and maybe the Ph, tonight i will do some adjusting. i didnt test for anything else because i figured its not needed right now. i'll have to check the shrimp to see if they're gone yet.

JoJo

well i just checked and the shrimp are REALLY swollen and there's a white film on the outside of the panty hose. so i'll be testing everyday to see what happens.

i have the QT ready to set up but i'm skeptically of putting any fish in it yet because we will be going out of town for about 5 days and it would be a gamble having someone watching the fish while we're gone.

JoJo

i just tested the water again and i'm thinking it hasnt started cycling yet. i think this test was more accurate than the first but the tomorrow night's test will tell.

Ph: 7.4, this was a vast difference. not a mistake

Amm: .25, this could be close to zero.

NO3: 0

NO2: 0

SG: 1.26

should i be testing for magnesium, phosphate & calcium now or can this wait until the cycle is finished?

Fish Crazy

Penductors or flow accelorators work great I have used them on MAG18 & Up & Baracudas & the flow is great

I have 1" flow accelerators with a Mag 24 on a 180 that Jack is helping me set up and he had to close off the flow a bit it was so strong

tbittner

Natural sea water is 1.0265. I keep my system between 1.0255 and 1.0265.

I wouldn't worry about anything other than ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and ph at this point. You'll be changing out a good bit of water between now and when it's time to balance those other things out.

What the heck happened to your PH? You don't have fires in your area or anything, do you?

JoJo

Craig, i dont think it has spiked yet...i dont think, its only been a couple of days.

Thanks for stopping by FishCrazy

Terry, i havent heard of any fires near by. i'll check it again tonight, i probably should have tested it twice last night to make sure.

JoJo

Hey Doni, thanks. my way of having patience is keeping to busy to have time to worry about it. :lol:

Hey Nina, nice to hear from you. i should of been done in 2-3 months but all the same, we made it.

Greg, i cant believe the cycle would be that quick with only 30+ lbs of LR and 15lbs of LS.

how far should i let the shrimps decay? they're 3x the beginning size and when we walked in the house this afternoon the whole house was stinking.