My RODI system is not working correctly

Hi everyone,

Just bought a brand new Marine Depot KleanWater Advanced Ro/Di system... Looks great but the water production is only 2 gallons an hour and product is ranging from 35-50ppm on the TDS meter.. I can not get it to Zero and use this water.. I do have well water that ranges from 45-60psi and the TDS is showing 590ppm on the water coming in..

I am frustrated as this is a new unit and the product description on their website never mentioned use specs.

Wanted to get comments or suggestions..

Thanks

Pat24601

2 gallons an hour sounds more or less normal to me. I think mine does 3 gallons an hour.

The ppm out is a serious problem, obviously. I have no good advice. Hopefully others will.

AFrederick

How many stages and what are the stages of the system?

I'm i newbie myself but two things that could help lower TDS are higher pressure input and more stages (carbon and or DI resin), to increase chances for impurities to get filtered. Bumping up the water pressure makes the reverse osmosis filter work more efficiently, in addition to producing water faster. They sell booster pumps to do this. A bonus is that with less TDS left after the RO filter, your DI resin last longer.

pablomay28

Make sure your unit is assembled correctly. The water should go into the unit through 1 the sediment filter 2 the carbon block 3 membrane 4 di resin anything after 4 can be optional be it another di resin or carbon block or both. One thing to consider is the micron size of your sediment filter and carbon block.

DaveK

First test your TDS at several points.
1 out of the tap (you already did this 590 ppm)
2 out of the mechanical filter and carbon stages - this should show some drop in tds
3 the good water out of the RO membrane stage - this should be about 1 - 2% of the input water
4 the waste water out of the RO membrane stage - this should be a lot higher than the input water
5 out of the DI stage (you already did this 35 - 50 ppm) - this should be close to 0

You should now know where your problem is.

On the mechanical and carbon stages you may have an incorrectly seated filter or the filters may be damaged. The filters may also be clogged.

On the RO membrane stage, the RO membrane may not be seated correctly or it may be damaged. You may also have a problem with the flow restrictor. It may be clogged or in may not be installed correctly.

On the DI stage the media may be exhausted or the filter may not be seated correctly. If the rest of the RO/DI unit is not working, the DO filter can pick up a lot of the TDS, but it quickly will exhaust itself.

Also check that you have the proper linen from the RO membrane filter going to the DI stage. You wouldn't be the first that got these mixed up.

Check the ratio of good water to waste water from the unit. Expect to see about 3 - 5 gal of waste water per gallon of good water. BTW, you can save the waste water too and use it for washing the car or watering plants and similar uses.

If this is a new unit, you should discard about the first 50 gal of water it produces.

pablomay28

My system uses 1 micron sediment and carbon. Some of the bargain brands are 5 micron sediment and carbon. My water is at about the same TDS as yours and my system pushes it through a 1 micron sediment filter, 1 micron carbon block, 100 gpd membrane, di, another inline di, then uv sterilizer (not used)