my riccordea... Dead or alive??

Cassette87

I just got back from poland and noticed that my riccordea aren't doing well and or are gone...only one of them is still visible, but doesn't open fully, the two tiny baby ones are still visible, but they appear to be bleached out.. and are almost entirely white. the other two larger polyps (dime sized) are completely gone. I don't know if they've moved or if they died, I simply don't know. I can't seem to see them anywhere, but the one dime sized poly that still is visible is in its same spot, and its colors are still there, it just seems a bit shy. so I find it hard to believe that they died, but they why would the little guys be bleached out? and where did the two other medium polyps go? ahh.. frustrating, as those were my new favorite...! I'll post a picture asap. Thanks Guys

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The only time my ricordia ever bleached was when they were completely shaded from the light. They didn't die, they just faded to white/light pink. Note that ricordia can let go to float to a better place if they are not happy.

Did you check your water parameters? temp, salinity, ph, etc
Is any stinging coral nearby?
Check your light bulbs and timer.

Cassette87

The only time my ricordia ever bleached was when they were completely shaded from the light. They didn't die, they just faded to white/light pink. Note that ricordia can let go to float to a better place if they are not happy.

Did you check your water parameters? temp, salinity, ph, etc
Is any stinging coral nearby?
Check your light bulbs and timer.

I've checked my parameters, and everything is in normal. There are no other corals nearby that i put there, but there are some hitchhiker growths all around them on that rock, and I have no idea what they may be, I will get pictures of them later today. the two baby ricks are pencil eraser size or smaller... should i try to relocate them, or simply let them do their thing? All of my lights are on timers, to simulate a day cycle, midnight hours is pitch black, early morning is moonlights, followed by actinic, followed by actinic +daylight bulb, and winding down to only actinic and later by moonligt and darkness once more. only other think i can think of is that since i was gone, i wasnt able to add any supplements, liq. calcium iodine etc so i suppose this could have done something?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I've checked my parameters, and everything is in normal. There are no other corals nearby that i put there, but there are some hitchhiker growths all around them on that rock, and I have no idea what they may be, I will get pictures of them later today. the two baby ricks are pencil eraser size or smaller... should i try to relocate them, or simply let them do their thing? All of my lights are on timers, to simulate a day cycle, midnight hours is pitch black, early morning is moonlights, followed by actinic, followed by actinic +daylight bulb, and winding down to only actinic and later by moonligt and darkness once more. only other think i can think of is that since i was gone, i wasnt able to add any supplements, liq. calcium iodine etc so i suppose this could have done something?

What kind of Ricordea are they? Florida Ricordea require a lot of light while the Yumas vary in the amount of light they need. Also flow is a factor. Low to moderate flow is what they prefer.

Cassette87

They are in a low flowing area of the tank near the bottom. the tank is 18" tall, with 130watts total when both actinic and daylight on. the light/water ratio is about 4.5 watts/gallon

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
You may want to try moving them up the reef closer to the light. Do you know if they are Florida (Atlantic species) or Yuma (Indo-Pacific species)?

Cassette87

I'm not sure to be honest, if i had to guess I'd say fl. ricordea though. is there any sure fire way to tell by looking at them? I will take a picture as soon as i'm home from work for you guys to see. Thanks for the quick responses :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
.....There are no other corals nearby that i put there, but there are some hitchhiker growths all around them on that rock, and I have no idea what they may be, I will get pictures of them later today......

I'd like to see a pic of those "hitchhiking growths".... could they be aiptasia?? Aiptasia pack a vERY potent sting.

Cassette87

I'd like to see a pic of those "hitchhiking growths".... could they be aiptasia?? Aiptasia pack a vERY potent sting.

nope, they're certainly not aiptasia, i've dealt with those before, and i'm certian it's not them. one of the growths almost looks like the base of a mushroom thats stretching out to frag, but instead of growing out from the rock, it just stays small and near the surface. The other looks like it may be some sort of sps, which wouldn't really make sense since i don't think there's nearly enough light down there for it to be growing. I'll get a picture the minute i get home from work today!

Cassette87

Here are the few pictures that I Promised, the first two show the Growing "slime" as i seem to think of it, and you can also see the one green ricordea polyp curled up. The last picture is to show the placement of the rocks they're on, and in one you can see the two tiny bleached rics.

Sorry that the tank is still a bit dirty, haven't yet had a chance to give it a proper cleaning since i've come home. Anyone? I'm going to take one more pic of another growth on the rock that is very intersting! more to come!

ricordea005.jpg

ricordea004.jpg

ricordea006.jpg

ricordea007.jpg

Cassette87

Here are two more images showing the unknown growths at the bottom.. one like a white little tree and one brown covered with what looks like liiitttle tiny polyps that are hiding.

also can see the little rics in this one

ricordea008.jpg

ricordea009.jpg

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
You're right, they don't look too hot. What are you doing to control the phosphate in your tank? They definately need more light.

Cassette87

Typically I'll just not feed a great deal, and occasionally run a phox x bag behind the cartrige of one of the filters. any idea what any of the three weird growths are?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
The white growths looks to be sponges.. I can't see the 'tree' thingy.

For the hair algae, I would increase the alkalinity and keep a phosphate media in the filter 24/7. Don't use the aluminum based since they can release the po4 back into the water... instead get the ferric oxide/hydroxide (?) media like Pura Phoslock, phosban, or rowaphos media. It will be a red/rust granular media. It works great and will not release po4 back into the water. Test the water for po4 (salifert kit) before starting and then monthly to show when the media should be replaced... or just replace it monthly.

lcstorc

Are you talking about the reddish maroon tree like stuff in the bottom left of this pic? Regardless I would love an id on that stuff becausse I have had it for a while. It retracts when touched and seems to be some kind of filter feeder. Mine never moves and is on the edge of a piece of rock and the bottom of the tank.

Cassette87

Are you talking about the reddish maroon tree like stuff in the bottom left of this pic? Regardless I would love an id on that stuff becausse I have had it for a while. It retracts when touched and seems to be some kind of filter feeder. Mine never moves and is on the edge of a piece of rock and the bottom of the tank.

Nope, that stuff just looks like purple grass to me.. I'm not quite sure what excactly it is, but it's been growing, and it's on a couple of my rocks, I've been tempted to clean it up, but i'd like to learn a bit about it first.

The white growths looks to be sponges.. I can't see the 'tree' thingy.

For the hair algae, I would increase the alkalinity and keep a phosphate media in the filter 24/7. Don't use the aluminum based since they can release the po4 back into the water... instead get the ferric oxide/hydroxide (?) media like Pura Phoslock, phosban, or rowaphos media. It will be a red/rust granular media. It works great and will not release po4 back into the water. Test the water for po4 (salifert kit) before starting and then monthly to show when the media should be replaced... or just replace it monthly.

I've posted two more pitures below with items circled, and labled. I will be headed out to my LFS today to try to pick up some of these items! In the first picture below: 1 is the white tree growth i'm talking about 2 is a small bleached ric polyp 3 is the brown growth with what appears to be tiny polyps.

in the second picture, 1 is the larger ric polyp that still remains and 2 is the white slime growth that has spread to the higher rock.
key.jpg

key2.jpg