HELP! MY RED TAILED TRIGGER IS SWIMMING ABNORMALLY

Discussion in 'General Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by KeepReefing, Apr 11, 2019.

1. KeepReefing

KeepReefing New Member

Hi, I own a 220 gallon aquarium in which I house a red tailed trigger. He is swimming in almost a loop and doesn't eat or move much. I am thinking it is something to do with his swim bladder because hes still kicking.I will post photos and I will be moving him to my 29 gallon for inspection. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

This is usually a serious problem with a fish. Yes, it's obviously some sort of swim bladder issue. The problem is what caused it. The fish may have been in a fight with something else, or might have gotten hurt if it got wedged into a place it had a hard time getting out of. It also could have had an encounter with something like a sea anemone or sea urchin. Internal diseases or parasites are also possible.

A red tail trigger is about the most sturdy fish in the hobby, so there is a chance of it recovering. If your placing it in a quarantine tank, you might try raising the temperature 3 or 4 degrees.