My Powerhead ate my pipefish

Paul B

I can't believe how stupid I am. Well, yes I can. I have been having a problem losing pipefish for a long time and I couldn't figure out why.
But I did now and I should have realized it which is driving me crazy because I usually see these potential problems. The problem started a couple of years ago when I changed from my ancient 25+ year old powerheads and started using Korilla's. The pumps are fine but they have a bunch of long slots on the sides where the water enters to be pumped out by the propeller.
That slot is the same diameter as most pipefish and pipefish not being the tuna's of the sea, can't pull free once they get stuck in a slot.
Now I think I solved the problem as I glued these acrylic bands around the powerhead. This one is done and I will now do the other one. I still have my dragon faced pipefish but if I had not seen this, He would be toast, or at least pipefish gel.
Now I am trying to get a few more pipefish but of course no one has any. :flaming:

Paul B

I thought about gutter mesh and I even have some, but I think this will work as the pipefish are smart enough not to go in head first, but their body gets stuck in the slots, this fix should allow them to get free.

Snid

Awww... Poor guys. Just a thought... They might not be strong enough to pull away still, but the mod might stop them from going in. So you might want to do a head count each day to make sure one isn't stuck on the side of the power head struggling to get free.

Paul B

It is hard to do a head count on anything in this tank as it is old and there are a lot of hiding places. I once had a brutlyd fish which is like a 6" bright yellow eel. I think I saw him three times in the 18 years I had him, and that was at night with a flashlight. (I had the flashlight, not the fish. He used a lantern)

Paul B

Unfortunately My normal pipefish supplier was not able to get me a multibanded pipefish today but I found a place that has five of them. I bought one and may go back for more. I re tweeked my powerhead by weaving fishing line around the acrylic rings I added to the thing. I will do more tweeking before I get more pipefish.