My Nightmare Day As A Reefer

Today was going to be the start of something good for my now cycled 75G tank. A Detrivoire kit from Inland Aquatics was due into my local FedEx distribution center at 8:00 AM. After picking it up, I decided to change out my filter sock on the drain line first. I noticed a leaky 1.5" bulkhead.:bouncebox I tried tightening it, but the drip would not stop, so I decided to loosen it. It moved 1/4 turn and froze. That was it....now it couldn't move in either direction. I removed the drain pipe from the bulkhead, and began to think of ways to get that sucker off, so I could replace it. I tried Channel-Lock plyers...no good:cry1: . How am I going to remove this thing????????:tears:

From 10:00 AM to 3PM I worked on this task:rollingey ...(Work....what is work??). I ended up drilling multiple holes and sawing the shaft of the bulkhead and the nut.....It finally came free. By the time I cleaned up the mess, acclimated the detrivoire critters and added them to the tank, it was 5:30PM.

I sometimes feel that this hobby is among the most difficult. There is nothing we do that doesn't have to be thoroughly planned out, modified, or jerry-rigged. God am I looking forward to going to sleep...................

Last edited:

addict

Dang... sounds like quite a day!

Like Doni said, at least it had a happy ending. :thumbup:
Glad you got it all worked out. :)

Witfull

as i started to read,,i had this vision of you tightening it,,and hearing that sickening cracking of glass...i was skeered.

Gina

RS STAFF
Good job on the repair. I also thought this was going to end up a bad read!

forestal

glad it worked out for you....i hate moments like those ...usually i will be tired, but decide, let me just fiddle with this, like when i decided to make a sump out of 2 salt buckets and a bulkhead on my anemonae tank...
2 hours later and 10 gallons on the floor, i gave up and restarted when fresher...

Little Luey

Glad it worked out.
There are things that are very frustrating about this hobby (for me is plumbing) but also very rewarding, I try not to do much plumbing and a lot of staring.

It's been 16 hours since the repair was completed and I'm happy to report that the outside of the the new bulkhead is "BONE DRY"!!!!!

ScottT1980

Your experience, while frustrating, is exactly why I love the hobby. Multiple challenges that require some inginuity and thought and more often then not, success is found. What could be better...

Take er easy
Scott T.

addict

Multiple challenges that require some inginuity and thought and more often then not, success is found.

That sounds almost like 'dating'... yet without the introductions. :D
Though a reef tank is probably cheaper... ;)

I also like having to engineer my way around things, which is why I love doing DIY... and keeping a reef provides plenty of opportunities for that. :)