My NewRed Sea Max 250

solinaman

Never mind, I just noticed you in-line plumbed it instead of fitting it down the back of the tank. I may give that a try! Thx.

Yes Reefmack, the Clarkii love the anemone. I did use a Mag Drive 9.5 as an inline pump. No space in the rear of the 250 for this. So far the pump has been great and super quiet! Remember when using it as an inline pump, you can't start it dry or it will make a horable wine noise. You have to pump water to it first!

I also just got a nice leather coral and Yellow Tang. Check them out!

DSCF1262.jpg

DSCF1263.jpg

DSCF1264.jpg

DSCF1269.jpg

My Carpet Anemone moved again! I took this picture because I thought it was cool with the reflection on the side of the tank!

DSCF1256.jpg

I've been talking to a lot of people, and they said as long as the tank is done cycling and all the chemical levels are good, there should be no problem. not to mention, I got a great deal on it! LOL. It seems to be doing very well! No issues.

Of course I wish you the best of luck, but I would have definately advised differently. IMO, you have a lot going on for a 65G tank. Just make sure your water quality remains stable.

I never use price as a motivator in buying livestock. Every creature harvested from the ocean deserves an appropriate home.

I agree 100%. I've been testing the water for a while now and it is remaining quite stable after its cycle! I wouldn't put any living things in the aquarium if it would do harm!

seatrueblue

When an anemones mouth is open that big, you have an issue. It doesn't look like that haddoni is doing well at all. A healthy happy anemone will have its mouth tightly closed. If you had done your research, you would know, that haddoni's like their foot in the sand. It doesn't look like your sand is nearly deep enough to keep this anemone happy. So it will be constantly moving to find a good spot. All the constant moving will make its health go further down the drain.

Sapphire

Hi,

it's my understanding (and I could be wrong as I don't have this type of anemone) that they prefer a deep sand bed - and that is usually defined as 4-6 inches.

seatrueblue

yea i would take the anemone back to the lfs. who are the "people" you have been talking to?

+ 1 on taking the anemone back to the LFS. Adding more sand might make your tank cycle again. (especially the amount of sand you need to add) Your tank is too young for an anemone anyways. Just because you are through with one cycle, doesn't mean you won't go through any more problems. You have to wait for the live bacteria in your rocks and sand to mature. So it can handle new bio loads such as fish detritus and inverts. Anemones make a huge bio load and with your tank being so young it might not be able to keep things stable. This may be one of the reasons why your anemone isn't looking so good. Mouth gapping open is bad ! This anemone might not survive.

Thank you all for your input! It's great to know that there are so many people here to help. I'll see if the lfs will take it back. One thing to share is that it had a larger mouth while at the lfs and has become a little smaller over the past week or so. Any thoughts?

I would still have to say that, in it's current configuration and maturity, your tank is not a suitable home for this anemone. I know it can be difficult to resist, particularly when it is a good deal. I can say from experience however that it can be even more heartbreaking to see an animal perish, or even worse, have a tank crash, because of impatience.

I would wait 6 months to a year of stable operation before even considering an anemone.

Words that I have always lived by, when it comes to my aquarium..."Patience is the key, the only thing that happens quickly in a marine aquarium...is catastrophe!"

Well I spoke with the manager from the LFS and they did take back the anemone with no problems. The manager said that the person who sold it to me was new and I was given wrong information.

I want to thank everyone again for all your help!

Hi All. Just thought I would post a little update on some mods with pictures. I ended up adding a CPY CY194 System with a custom overflow for the 250. I know this may be overkill, but better to have more filters than not enough. I only have to clean out this larger size skimmer cup about once a week and not everyday like the stock Skimmer. Don't know if I'm just going to stop using the stock skimmer yet and just the CY194. Anyway, here you go!

DSCF1380.jpg

DSCF1382.jpg

DSCF1384.jpg

DSCF1385.jpg

DSCF1387.jpg

DSCF1389.jpg

DSCF1405.jpg

Just a few updated pictures for everyone! Enjoy...

Mandarin Dragonet
DSCF1623.jpg

Mandarin Dragonet Peeking Out
DSCF1699.jpg

Valentini Puffer
DSCF1704.jpg

Porcupine Puffer
DSCF1717.jpg

Both Valentini and Porcupine Puffer
DSCF1736.jpg

Mushrooms after feeding.
DSCF1683.jpg