My New Tank

tommyp

Hey here are some pics of the new tank.

getting ready to bring it into the house

truck.jpg

tommyp

Had to pull the back door off to get it through. The stained glass lamp was later removed due to uglyness.

door.jpg

tommyp

I'll take some more tank pics tommorrow. it is still empty and sitting on a non skinned stand.

This is an old picture of the new sump setup. I kinda messed up and made the top shelf at a weird height. I didn't figure I would need good access to it because it was going to be an unllt holding tank. but it is now filled with all my fish and coral and liverock. Oh well. The shelf is for 20h quarentine tanks that will be plumbed in to the system and able to be isolated from the main setup for qt duties.

sumpnew.jpg

tommyp

this is where the tank is going. Lovely asbestos I believe in the wall. Our house was built 1877.It is all sealed back up nicely without being disturbed. the tank will be three sides viewable with the far side framed into the stairwell. The stair seat will be a cool one.

hole.jpg

Gina

RS STAFF
Very nice! I like the three sided view. Aquascaping should be interesting!
Keep these step by step pics going!

tommyp

Wood, I am correct in leaving it where it is and sealing it in the wall? I didn't want to mess with it. The wall was wide pine plank. It was the only wall that was in the house so i pulled the plank off and sheetrocked over it. That was why it was "exposed" for the picture it was still behind plastic.

mkpaulson

congratulations on your new tank! I hope everything goes well for you setting up, keep the pic coming. :bigbounce

tommyp

here is a better shot of the stair window. I had to renovate the stairs before the tank went it. They were scary. They went a story in 6ft. I could barely fit half my foot on the tread. I turned them into an L stair with winders that is so much safer.

stairh.jpg

tommyp

Started the dual 2" dursos today. Got one elbow that was not correct. Have to fix that but that is no biggie. Trying to figure out what I am going to do with the overflow Thinking I will go over it with acrylic and add gutter gaurd instead of teeth. or route teeth in the acrylic.

Was going to run a surge hence the big drains and long overflow. I am going to go streams right now and possibly add the ball valve surge later when my wallet is less light.

durso.jpg

tommyp

More work on the standpipes today. I like to build them by drilling through the cap and the pipe connecting the cap and the tee. That way I can turn the cap and be able to adjust the airflow. none of this drilling larger hole until it works right. I glue the top and bottom of the the tee so that i can turn the cap without everything else moving.

pipe1.jpg

Close up of the air adjustment hole

pipe2.jpg

forestal

Nice idea for the durso air hole
I love the side view from the stairs...I could just see myself sitting on the stair, i always loved the side view on big tanks

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Looking great Tommy ! What is the plan for the tank ? What are you going to use for lighting ? Have you made a fish list yet ? :turntable

tommyp

Thanks All!

Cheeks, I am not sure what I am going to have for fish. Haven't really thought too much about it. Was thinking a couple tangs and some anthias. but haven't really done too much research.

Lighting.

I am going to overdrive two SE xm10k's with a hamilton hqi dual ballast. I am going to use a larger reflector that gives good spread. (luminarcish) probably of my own making. then add T5 blue plus sups. I am really not sure how I am going to be able to pull the t5s off. maybe 24" across the tank. and one 48 in the front. it is hard to fit them in running large reflectors.

here is the progress for this morning.

picked up an acrylite cutoff from the plastic shop. man I love that place. i walked in the shop which is huge. and there was like a 6x6 sheet of cast acylic on a support. crazyness. they had a beckett skimmer in there that was broken in shipping that they were fixing i think for ups/fedex.

here is the sheet after I took the heat gun to it.

over1.jpg