My new Sump Room

Sweet Reef

First I have to give wome credit where credit is due...This is all becuase of the day I signed on and spotted tbittners thread on his basement set up...Thanks for everything Terry!

Well...after about 3 weeks of planning, cutting, building walls, gluing PVC, routing a couple 20 amp GFI electrical plugs and lots of plumbing, Ive finished building my 12 x 12 sump room to feed my 120g DT directly above in my dining room. I started off by purchasing 2 Rubbermaid 100g stock tanks. One being a sump the other being a fuge which are raised about 2ft off the floor. I then went with a Reeflo Sequence Barricuda for a return pump. This puts out great flow at almost 12ft of head. I actually have it valved back about halfway, which is what I wanted so that I could always tap into the system for future frag tanks (which is coming next). In total I have went from about 135g of water to almost 300g.
P1010014.jpg

Input and Return Line to the Barricuda return pump
P1010020-1.jpg

After getting the new drain line plumbed in and starting up the sytem I soon found that I had to increase the drain line pipe dia to 2". I originally had 1.5" pipe all the way down with a hard 90 plumbed in..this caused some flow issues along with some unwanted noise so I removed it and went with 2 45's instead along with rerouting the drain to smooth out the flow. In the sump I run a 100 micron filter sock, My ER 6-2 skimmer, 300w heater along with a Mag 5 pump to keep it moving & a Tunze Osmolator ATO with my new (temp) DIY Kalk reactor made from 3" PVC. Im actually having a sealing issues with the cap on this (can you believe it? lol) so Im going to rebuild it with 4" so I can use a standard 4" seal.
P1010029-2.jpg

In my fuge I have a 5" sandbed and some cheato. I found some 120w T8 lights in the used section at LFS and the owner even gave me brand new free bulbs for it! I run them on a alternate 7hr lighting from the DT. I also picked up a used Korilla 4 to keep the Cheato tumbling along and added a 250w heater.
P1010030-1.jpg

After getting the system all up and running I installed some insulation on the exterior walls, my RODI, water change bucket, a American DJ power control center (very nice to have), and a little shelving. I also just recently aquired some counter top from a family member so I ran hot and cold water over and installed a used $15 bar sink and a brand new $29 faucet & sprayer which has been the most awsome thing to have in this room! Oh...and a baby monitor that we still had...lol...well I gotta be able to hear it upstairs :rolleyes:
P1010036.jpg

So all in all..what used to look like this..
P1010001-4.jpg

Now has turned into this..:eek:
P1010038.jpg

Its all up and been running now about 2 weeks. Its been so nice to have the room to work in and to have everything in one place. The Cheato seems to be doing well and I can already see some good signs in the DT from doing all this. I still have a few small things to add like more shelving and a bit more light in time and I also am going to run another plug over around to the counter I think. But for now...Im very happy.:D
BTW...The floor inst wet in the pic...not sure why it shows up that way in the pic?

vdituri

WOW!
Nice work!
Nice setup!
Glad to see Terry's had a positive influence on somebody around here. lol

Look forward to future updates. :snshne:

prow

sweet, great job. i am so jealous. wish i had the room for something like that. how are you planning on dealing with the moisture? might want to paint everyting with a oil based paint and add a good exhaust fan even add a to control it humidistat. also a dehumidifier would not hurt ;)

Sweet Reef

sweet, great job. i am so jealous. wish i had the room for something like that. how are you planning on dealing with the moisture? might want to paint everyting with a oil based paint and add a good exhaust fan even add a to control it humidistat. also a dehumidifier would not hurt ;)

Thanks!
Just picked up a big dehumidifier yesterday and the basement feels dry as a bone today. I do plan on adding a exhaust vent in time.

tbittner

WOW!
Nice work!
Nice setup!
Glad to see Terry's had a positive influence on somebody around here. lol

Look forward to future updates. :snshne:

:lol: SA!!! :lol:

Everything looks so nice and clean. Now that you have this HUGE engine set up, when are you upgrading the 120 to something like a 450? :D

How do you do water changes?

tbittner

Thanks!
Just picked up a big dehumidifier yesterday and the basement feels dry as a bone today. I do plan on adding a exhaust vent in time.

I thought about a dehumidifier but my wife loves the humidity it adds to the air. She insists on leaving it the way it is. :dance:

Sweet Reef

What kind effect does that dehumidifier have on your evaporation rate?

I havent noticed any yet..the room has a door on it that Im keeping shut. The room isnt air tight by any means but I think it helps to have it closed off. I ran the dehumidifier constantly all night and all day today then set the humidity control on it to 60% and its turning itself off and on as needed now.

Sweet Reef

:lol: SA!!! :lol:

Everything looks so nice and clean. Now that you have this HUGE engine set up, when are you upgrading the 120 to something like a 450? :D

How do you do water changes?

LOL...I WAS WAITING FOR THIS QUESTION TO COME ALONG!!

Actually, Ive already been shopping and got the go ahead from the better half. Im just sockin it away so I can pay cash for it..Im also planning on building my own stand for it...LFS wants $1200 ducks for it!!! I figure around $300 out the door for a nice one!

Water changes are done via the container next to the sump...I turn on the RODI valve to the brute which has its own heater, pump for stirring, and airstone. When the can is full I mix the salt and the next morning I do the WC. For draining..I have a line coming off the return (you can see the p-trap up near the ceiling in the one pic) that drains into my main line for the house. I just open the drain valve while watching the sump level. When it drains out 4" I shut off the valve and then plug in my WC pump in the brute can and fill the sump back up. Here is a pic I found...
P1010024-1.jpg

Snelly40

wow!!!!! looks great, exactly what i hope ot have in a nearby room someday soon, great great move!!!

tbittner

What size tank are you thinking of upgrading too?

And how about water changes? How do you handle that?

naperenterprise

Sweet! Looks a little like my rooms :) But yours looks much better!

This site makes me feel so good, I know I'm not the only mad scientist out here...lol

Great Job on the sump room!

BarbMazz

Oh! BTW... Great room! I have all my stuff in the basement, too, and it's really nice. I do wonder what's going on down there when I'm not around though. :goofy: