My New Setup Log

OzarksReef

Hi everyone,

I thought it might helpful to post my log for my saltwater setup. I have a 55-gallon aquarium with 260 watts of power compact light and a CPR BakPak2. I set it up on April 3rd and added the lights and filter on the 6th. Today marks my 16th day since filling the aquarium and I think the cycle is approaching completion. :thumbup:

There's a few things I've observed along the way that might prove helpful if you're just getting started:

1. I used cured live rock from my LFS (only 26 pounds so far) and believe that the bacteria in the rock kept me from seeing any ammonia during the first 7-10 days. When I added enough of a "load" - 2 raw jumbo shrimp - the ammonia finally started to rise.

2. I added a bag of live sand (20 lbs) a little over a week into it. This (along with the rock) kept up pretty well with the ammonia - the max it got to was .50 ppm. It took less than a week for the ammonia to "spike" at .50 and then lower back down to "0" - even with the 2 shrimp.

3. I lost 2 damsels during these first couple of weeks - not to water quality, but to my powerhead inlets. Both were sucked into it - I have added covers to them now.

I still have a little wait as you can see in the chart below - still have measurable nitrites. I'm hoping that things will look good for adding a single fish by early next week - we'll see!

I'd appreciate feedback from the veterans here on my log so far - let me know if you think I'm approaching the end of the cycle. I know that I'll have to proceed slowly after the nitrites go to zero - believe me, I'm in no rush to lose any more fish! (But I am excited to see the ammonia back down)!

Here's the link to my LOG...

Thanks! :turntable

OzarksReef

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I appreciate the welcome too - looking forward to learning more about this fascinating hobby!