My New Profilux 3.1NEX

steved13

PREMIUM
I am upgrading from a Neptune Apex to a GHL Profilux 3.1NEX.

Before making the decision I was searching for what makes the GHL better? I had trouble finding the answer to that. I kept getting answers which told me what the GHL did, but I already knew the Apex would do whatever was said. I saw a few videos, and got some feedback and decided to make the switch.

What I found from my research and has been confirmed sonce I got the GHL yesterday, is they both do all the same stuff, but the GHL does everything IMO better.

I'll be setting it up slowly over the next few days and I'll post things as I find them.

steved13

PREMIUM
While my old controller would give me a graph of how much total amps the system was using the Profilux gives you a live reading of each outlet. Very useful if you need to find where the amps are going and use the outlets differently.

Here's another...When programming for heater and chillers, with my old controller I needed to do each programming, whereas with the Profilux I set the target temp and a variance (hysteresis) and tell it which outlet is a heater and which is a chiller and it knows what to do from there. I have a canopy fan which I like to come on before the chiller, for that I created a virtual probe so I can vary the temp for the fan Vs the heater and chiller. The profilux is easier, but I don't have to give up the flexibility.

steved13

PREMIUM
I moved the Vortechs from the Apex to the Profilux. They both do a great job. Where the Profilux is better, is mostly in the programming. On the Profilux, it's all done via drop down menu rather than the "If Then" statements that need to be written on the Apex. Also the Profilux is "one stop" where the Apex you need to write profiles and then insert the profile into the "If then" statements on a separate step. In the Profilux the intensity is done in RPM's of the pump, instead of a percentage, it takes a little getting used to, but it is more precise. The Profilux allows 12 different changes throughout the day IE: you can change from Lagoon mode to Nutrient Transport mode (or any modes you want) and change the max intensity up to 12 times. I don't think the apex is limited at all, but I can't imagine ever needing more than 12, I switch them quite a bit and I'm using 8.

If you like the thunderstorm option the Profilux allows you to select the Vortechs to take part in the storm very easily...It's just checking a box. I think (I'm not positive) it can be done on the Apex but it's far more complicated.

steved13

PREMIUM
This one is a little long and technical in some places. If you get bored skip to the summary LOL

If you don't have an Apex now some of it won't mean anything to you. I hope it's useful to someone. If you have questions feel free to ask.

I moved My Aqua Illuminations Sol Blues from the Apex to the Profilux this evening. I was dreading this a little because I had a pretty complicated light program for the 3 different colors. After doing the Profilux, I think I had it a lot more complicated than it needed to be.

This will also allow others to learn from my mistake whichever controller you're using.

The Profilux has a little graph of the color you're working with, so you can see the intensity during time periods throughout the day. I had 13 different statements in each color for the Apex, with the Profilux I have 5. I probably could have done the same 5 with the Apex had I thought of it. The graph on the Profilux made me realize how simple it could have been.

If you're interested this is the Apex programming:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 09:20 to 11:20 Then DawnWh
If Time 11:20 to 12:20 Then 20%-30%
If Time 12:20 to 13:20 Then 30%-40%
If Time 13:20 to 14:00 Then 40%-60%
If Time 14:00 to 16:00 Then 60%-70%
If Time 16:00 to 17:30 Then 70%-80%
If Time 17:30 to 18:30 Then 80%-70%
If Time 18:30 to 19:30 Then 70%-60%
If Time 19:30 to 20:00 Then 60%-40%
If Time 20:00 to 20:30 Then 40%-30%
If Time 20:30 to 21:00 Then 30%-20%
If Time 21:00 to 22:00 Then DuskWh
If Time 22:00 to 09:20 Then OFF

Each of those is a profile that needs to be set up and then used in the programming above. Each has a 30 minute ramp time, which means when going from 30% to 40% it will take 30 minutes to get there and then stay there for the rest of the time period.

For the Profilux the programming is:

9:20 AM 0%
2:20PM 70%
4PM 80%
7PM 70%
10PM 0% This is done via drop down menus, instead of typing it all in above.

I now know I could have done the Apex with 5 steps, like I have done with the Profilux. What I learned is If I let it ramp for the whole time period (9:20A - 2:20P above for example) it will evenly increase the intensity. Instead of with the Apex where I stepped it all those times.

The reason, I did it "the hard way" with Apex, and learned the "easy way" with the Profilux is...."Ramp time" When setting the profiles in the Apex you have to set a ramp time, and always just selected 30 minutes, just because it seemed good. When I started programming the Profilux there is no "ramp time" at first I thought I was lost...how I do it without a ramp time? Then I realized the Profilux ramps it the whole way until the next time command.

Again I could have done the same with the Apex by calculating the number of minutes and setting the ramp time accordingly. Not as easy as the Profilux but the same result. Problem is if you want to tinker with your light schedule all the calculation would make it quite a chore.

When I first programmed the AI's with the Profilux I had only 3 commands, for the whites above it was 0% to 80% and then back to 0% which made a graph like an upside down V. Which would have been OK but I wanted to stretch out the "bright period" so I added the 2 70% on each side of the 80% peak. the graph now looks more like a barn roof with 70% - 80% for about half of the illumination period.

Summary:

So far I'm very pleased with my Profilux, and impressed. It's not perfect, and it's got a couple of minor quirks. Before buying it I kept asking what makes it better than the Apex I have, and It was hard to find an answer that convinced me. So far it has been just what I thought when I bought it...It may not do anything my Apex couldn't do, but it does just about everything, a little better, or easier. And the Profilux also seems to be easier to try new settings and "play" a little.

catran

Cool!
just keep learning, that way you can help me set mine up when the time comes, lol!!

PSBoston

Great writeup! I am setting my Apex up now. Wish I knew everyone was planning on making the switch a month ago.... the one time I save a few bucks, haha.

steved13

PREMIUM
Cool!
just keep learning, that way you can help me set mine up when the time comes, lol!!

You got it!!

Great writeup! I am setting my Apex up now. Wish I knew everyone was planning on making the switch a month ago.... the one time I save a few bucks, haha.

At this point, I've had a ReefKeeper Lite, Apex, and the Profilux...If you have any questions setting up your Apex post them I'm more than willing to help and there are plenty of others also.

Obviously I like the Profilux the best, but the Apex is very capable.

steved13

PREMIUM
I don't think I mentioned, while setting up the AIs the cloud settings, moon cycle, rainy days and thunderstorms are very easy to incorporate. You just click the box for each color channel that you want to take part, and then "answer the questions" in each different simulation. Then you can test and tweak as needed.

Hint...I don't care for the thunderstorm myself, but if you do, have it dim quite a bit, or it doesn't look right. If you leave the lights fairly bright it just looks like there flashing and have a problem, if you dim them a lot, then it looks more like lightning.

I like the clouds, it changes up the tank quite a bit throughout the day.

steved13

PREMIUM
I calibrated and installed the pH probe this evening. I didn't think it would be very noteworthy but I think it is.

The auto calibration was very easy. I activated the calibration and put the probe into the 4.0 cali fluid, the profilux works on it for awhile and then sounds an alarm to tell you it's ready for the next step...rinse the probe and then insert it into the 9.0 cali fluid, it works on it again and then sounds an alarm telling you it's done.

When calibrating others I was left wondering if I waited long enough for the controller to settle before moving to the next step...It's very confidence building that the Profilux let's you know when each step is done.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have to say Steve, this is absolutely awesome.
I'm learning a ton about controllers (and I don't even have one). I sure hope some people on this forum are paying close attention *cough*Matt*cough* :D This is sure making me want to join the Profilux Club.
Does this mean you'll come to my place and set mine up for me? Possibly buy it for me too? :bow:

j/k... great info though...

steved13

PREMIUM
It's not all roses. I'm having trouble connecting through a web browser.

That's also why my "current tank stats" isn't working.

I've been trying for 2 days, and I've tried everything everyone has suggested, can't connect.

sk8rdn

Without knowing anything about them, I'd say an ip conflict or network router security setting. But that's just a stab in the dark.

....Secret Super Hero....

steved13

PREMIUM
Without knowing anything about them, I'd say an ip conflict or network router security setting. But that's just a stab in the dark.

I I have almost no understanding of networking, I'm pretty much someone tells me "set this like this and that like that and it should work" and I try it. With my little understanding, When I use the Profilux program (a separate program on the PC) it accesses the Profilux through the router on the same 192.168.1.5, it's only when I try to access it through the web browser that I have an issue.

I'm thinking if it gets it through the Profilux software then it ought to get it through a web browser also? Is that a good assumption?

When I try the web browser, it tries to connect for awhile and then I get a connection reset message.

The profilux software says the address is 196.168.1.5 and the "attached devices" on the router says 196.168.1.5. So that's what I type into the URL on the web browser.

sk8rdn

Browser may not go directly to the profilux. It may go out to the internet and back in. For instance, it wouldn't be the 192.168.*.* address, it'd be 24.198.*.* (on bright house road runner) or similar. Your routers firewall may block "outside" access to it, even if it originated from your computer. Does that make sense?

steved13

PREMIUM
Bill, I edited the last post and I'm not sure you saw it, Here it is in case it adds anything:

When I try the web browser, it tries to connect for awhile and then I get a connection reset message.

The profilux software says the address is 192.168.1.5 and the "attached devices" on the router says 192.168.1.5. So that's what I type into the URL on the web browser.

Browser may not go directly to the profilux. It may go out to the internet and back in. For instance, it wouldn't be the 192.168.*.* address, it'd be 24.198.*.* (on bright house road runner) or similar. Your routers firewall may block "outside" access to it, even if it originated from your computer. Does that make sense?

I think I get what you're saying. I'm on brighthouse so should I try 24.198.168.1.5 or was that just an example?

steved13

PREMIUM
How about this: I believe it has separate LAN and Webserver. The LAN address is, 192.168.1.5 and the webserver says it's on port 80. I have forward all traffic fto and from port 80 to 192.168.1.5 per some directions on the profilix support forum.