My new Platinum Perculas!

michael_cb_125

"I have a couple of friends who have a fish store in Riverside, Ca. They are a few miles away from ORA and they are going to have a pair in."

I thought ORA was in FL.

~Michael

lcstorc

From their web site.
The ORA™ hatchery complex is located at Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution (HBOI) in Ft. Pierce, Florida. ORA™ is the largest marine ornamental hatchery in North America and we are constantly developing new techniques to bring the finest captive bred specimens to environmentally conscientious aquarists throughout the world.

If there are only 10 being released I would expect them to go for more than that.
As they become more available, of course the price will go down just like the Picasso and Naked clowns. Not cheap but lower than they started.

I just talked to the owner of the store and he said that it will definitely be from ORA Aquaculture. They have a rep there and it is true that they will be selling them for $350/fish or $650 for the pair.

I stand corrected and am sorry. ORA Aquaculture is based in FL. The rep that they deal with is out of Ontario, CA. I must have been...:apint: :turntable

So whats the difference between a platinum and a Snowcaso? Seem like a ripoff, Can someone educate me?
Platinum Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion percula)

Apparently from what I have heard. As the platinums grow out and mature, they will be completely white. no markings no orange and again from what I have heard even the black is supposed to fade to white. So they will basically be like a white naked clown. And they are true Percs

kathywithbirds

WOW!!!! I love those!!

Apparently from what I have heard. As the platinums grow out and mature, they will be completely white. no markings no orange and again from what I have heard even the black is supposed to fade to white. So they will basically be like a white naked clown. And they are true Percs

Yeah I was gonna speculate if the color spread or when we were gonna see an all-white...

C'mon Doni, git them snowflakes breedin! We need some RS platinums.

michael_cb_125

For anyone who is interested.

Live Aquaria will be posting a Pair of these fish in the Diver's Den section in a few weeks. :)

If I were to drop this much cash on a clownfish (or any other fish for that matter) it would be with LA. You cant beat their CS.

~Michael

lcstorc

From this link
AquaNerd: ORA Platinum Picasso Clownfish
The Platinum Percula is a nearly all white variation of the True Percula Clownfish. The result of years of selective breeding, the Platinum Percula is derived from our famous Picasso Clownfish. This striking white clownfish develops orange and then black fins as it matures, and retains some orange color in the face.
http://www.blogger.com/www.orafarm.com
Not to be confused with the Snowflake Clownfish, which is actually A. ocellaris, the Platinum Percula shows none of the original stripes characteristic of the species. While the middle stripe of the Snowflake is wide and has jagged edges, the Platinum Percula is continuously white from head to tail. No other clownfish, from the wild or from breeders, has ever come close to appearance of the Platinum Percula.

smkndrgn142

It's great seeing all these morphs coming out in the clowns! I can't wait to see comes next! But the original will always be my favorite.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I like the color morphs. Many people are opposed to such morphs but we (humans) have been selectively breeding dogs/cats/horses/cows, etc. for color morphs or specific genetics forever and fish are no different.
As long as the fish are not injured or in pain, I do not have a problem with it.

BTW.. my Snowcassos are VERY close to these :)
Here is UNO...
2009051011.jpg

smkndrgn142

I have no problem with the selective breeding, I can't wait for other species to be bred like this. Just stating a personal preference. I like the Picassos too