My new first Nano

forestal

Hi all...

I wanted to share my new nano...my first attempt...

Tank: 10 gallon standard
Lighting: 36" Corallife ( 2 x 96 watt (one 10K and 1 50/50)) over it
Filtration: 30 pounds LR, Emperor 300 with LR/macro (filled with sand/live rock as mini fuge and for water flow with acrylic glued to deflect flow horizontally
Substrate: 2-3" aragonite sugar fine sand (for nitrate reduction)
Livestock: yellow citron gobey, neon blue gobey, purple sea rod, yellow & red sea rod, tubastrea, zo's, purple shrooms, green monti, xenia
Feeding: Cyclopeeze, flake and DTs (5cc) 2x/day
Stats: Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=0, pH=8.2, Ca=520(working on it), PO4=0, Specific Gravity=1.025
Maintenance: 80% or 8 gallons weekly using water from reef, FW Ro topoff ~500cc/day

I need more snails me thinks cause the denitrifying (?cyano) bubbles coat everything in daytime, despite pretty good water flow...i'm new to the nano stuff.

nanotank2.jpg

more info/pics of livestock at http://www.forestalsfish.com/Nano10.html

Any feedback and/or criticism accepted, thanks ;)

mps9506

Very cool. Are you going to put a background or paint the back glass? The filters and cords are kind of distracting.
Other than that I think it looks great. Should look better once stuff starts growing in.

forestal

thanks all...my first nano, just getting used to micro dosing food so i don't poison the tank...but i really like it...the sps and xenia seem to love the light...i only have 6 inches of unuses light...the penguin filter with live rock and macro is on the side so is under the light as well..

a backing would be nice...ideally making a bit bigger fuge so i can not have heater in the tank, and a dark blue background would look nicer i think.

forestal

thought would update...re scaped a bit...put some black backing on...and put the light on the hinges, looks a bit better (my wife now will allow me to keep them rather than finding lights that fit :D )

nanosetup3.jpg

started a 2.5 gallon nano - more for the non photo gorgs...hope to let them open up better
2nanosetup.jpg

forestal

Update...i added a suped up prism skimmer (got the idea from someone on seahorse.org - the berlin skimmer lift tube fits perfectly on top and lets you run the skimmer full blast and get very dry yukky stuff :) ) and moved the non photosynth. gorgs to the 2.5

added a 10 gallon sump with my diy overflow (takes up 1/4 of the tank- i will need to make a smaller one) onthe 2.5 gallon nano...have my gorgs starting to extend better, and several cup corals that are coating the rocks...they seem to be nonphotosynth. and eat up the cyclopeeze..

2.5 Pico reef:
http://forestalsfish.com/pics/Tanks/2nano/pico.jpg

10 gallon Nano (note the 60 hex next door - my condylactis anemone likes the spot in back using the nano's light - a bit tougher to feed, but he is happy):
http://forestalsfish.com/pics/Tanks/nano/nano4.jpg

Turbianria peltata in the 10 nano:
http://forestalsfish.com/pics/Tanks/nano/turbinaria.jpg

strat

hey forestal, whaddaya mean souped up prizm skimmer, i curious cuz i have one lying around... thanks

strat

cwrenge

Hi to you all ... nice tanks.....my worry about the so-called Nano Tanks ...are the small ones now being marketted ( my spelling needs to improve huh ! ) i see so many of them in stores where they show such a spiral downward for the life forms in them.............the changes in thoes tanks go so quickly , that most owners of Nano's ( 3 gallons and less ) don't realize the constant attn. they need to keep up... it's just that lots of people who buy this cute tank to have in the office or shop / home corner...most start out with this popular type of reef to begin with.... is ther others out in the marine world who see this...? or is it just me....? thanks for any feed-back..... scincerly. cw.

forestal

thanks for the comments...In the 10 i have a hermit, 6 nassarius, 3 trochus, a neon goby and a yellow citron goby (see my web page for pics)...Just some snails in the 2.5...i am thinking of using the 2.5 and the 10 sump for it as little species tanks/QT as well.

CWrenge..don't know why you keep posting the same stuff in others posts, if you have something against LFS selling nanos to beginners so be it...however much of a newbie i think i am...i dont have a nano to kill stuff...I expect my livestock to thrive and be happy..and btw, this is a post about my nano that i started, not one the LFS told me to buy...i started with a 55 reef, now have a 60, 120, 150, 10, 2.5 and a 10 gallon temperate...so I am starting slowly.

anywho,
Strat, If you get the airlift tube from an old berlin skimmer (i found one on ebay for 20$), it fits perfectly with the opening of the prism skimmer, just gorilla glued it and its ready to go...I can have it on full blast, rather than the need to have it barely on and it overflowing the cup with tank water...the more lift seems to get the dry nasty stuff

pics:

skimmer.jpg

link to where i got my idea from
http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?act=ST&f=57&t=15569&

forestal

I am having quite the hair algae problem...if this was my other tank, fox face or tang would gobble it up, but not the case here, any suggestions other than scrubbing down the rock (i don't wanna kill too much of the internal fauna)

started supplementing the feeding of teh sunpolyps...instead of dt's and cyclopeeze, started feeding each polyp a mysis or 2 shrimp...they love it and are starting to grow