my new 20g planted tank

HEHE, hard to get those neons to stay still for a pic isn't it? Nice looking pics. Thanks to my wife wanting some puffers I have upgraded to a 47gal :) Soon as I get some stuff worked out I'll post some pics as well.

I like the aquascaping, nice job :)

yungreefer2410

thanks. any ideas on yhe food question? also should i have snails in there as a cuc? i was think like two of those big snails...

I feed my neons once a day, you could probably feed them more often if you want but then you'll probably end up with more left overs.

As far as snails for a cuc, mine don't seem to do a lot, I mean every little bit helps but I wouldn't depend on them, would probably need a bunch to make a noticable impact, but then you have the problem of them over populating.

I'm not having much luck with cuc on my new 47gal. I have cherry shrimp, a couple of snails (one adult and a few babies that crop up from time to time) and one algea eater. Thinking about adding cories to take care of the food that hits the bottom.

Still debating on adding a few freshwater crabs, but then I couldn't get the cories so I don't know.

yungreefer2410

how big are the cherry shrimps and how much do they cost? i would much rather get shrimps then snails. they can't be too small or my eventual gourima (sp?) will eat them

Luukosian

Amano shrimp would be a lot better at eating algae but I think they are a little harder to find. Cherry shrimp are a lot better to look at though.

Once your plants start filling the tank you shouldn't have to worry about algae much. I've had good luck feeding my neons micro pellets by hikari(one little bag lasts forever) they don't dissolve in the tank like flakes do. Tank is lookin good. Hide that heater though!!

p.s. if you keep the gourami well fed it probably would'nt be a problem if the shrimp have a place to hide, they are pretty quick.

yungreefer2410

ok thanks guys. has anyone tried there mush for saltwater for there fw fish? i feed them once a day along with my firefish

Luukosian

Whenever I feed my reef mysis, krill, or brine I always feed the leftover to all the freshwater tanks. They go crazy for it. Its more of a treat than a regular part of the diet though. If you rinse your food in saltwater be careful not to get too much salt in the planted tank though.

yungreefer2410

they went crazy for it. i just feeed a little bit and it was gone in about 20s. i'll feed them more tomorrow. do you think i should still feed flake every now and then?

Last edited:

Luukosian

I would still feed flake or floating pellets as a main diet not only is it formulated for freshwater fish it is probably a lot easier and convenient. The mush you have is probably all saltwater based and not meant as a staple for freshwater fish. They might live a long life just on the mush but they will live just as long on the flake/pellets...and that seems like an easier option to me.

PEMfish

Flake is nutritionally the worst food available. period. However FW fish should not be fed SW food either.
You need to rethink your whole menu.

Luukosian

It's not like they are 100 dollar discus...I wouldn't stress about it too much. I have tetras doing just fine for years on a variety of flake/pellets. I'm not about to thaw out frozen food every day but every once in a while its a good treat.... :)