My New 150 gallon Project

Ripler

Hey guys :hallo: ,

Im new to the site and new to the hobby but it has bit me like a bug. Never since have I been so inspired as some of the builds Ive seen on here. WOW. Still learning a lot so until I figure out what im going to do with the INSIDE of my tank, I wanted to get input on the OUTSIDE! I also made a website: sebkablog - Welcome!

I Just bought this 150 tank with stand and canopy (Saturday, Aug. 29,2009)but if you look closely the carpentry looks Gheeetto, old, and not properly done.
Picture009-large.jpg

I decided to buy some moldings and decorative pieces too
Picture010-large.jpg

I bought 8 of those squares (aint cheap $6.50 each).
Picture008-large.jpg

It is now Monday and I did about 3-4 hours of work on the stand and canopy.
You can see the new moldings.
IMG_0662-large.jpg

IMG_0660-large.jpg

IMG_0658-large.jpg

IMG_0664-large.jpg

I still need to Sand, fill holes and do cocking, as well as paint! I am also thinking about building an addition to raise my canopy about 1/2 foot higher but I need to first brainstorm and work out the logistics of how.

All comments welcome! Bad or Good

seafansar

Looking good! I like the molding a lot. My dad built a "stand" for his stand on his 125 gallon. It raised it up about 8". I hate how low most store bought stands are. You'll definitely be happy if you raise it some.

Ripler

hahaha yeah im definately raising it. IF I do end up swaping for a smaller tank, 100% im building 1/2 higher. I know, just talking about selling makes me sulk :(

Anyways, I worked 10 HOURS today, mix in 2 trips to the store for supplies on top of that too...Realized I had a sick fish, so I had to run to the store for some meds too. Here is the progress:

Built a new frame and raised the old canopy about 6-8 inches; did the cocking and prepared for paint; Also added nice molding on all sides except the back. You can see a new little square molding which I used to cover up where I joined the 2 flanks of wood. Hopefully it will create an illusion like its one big piece.
IMG_0666-large.jpg

This is a side view. You can better see the detail.
IMG_0667-large.jpg

IMG_0668-large.jpg

IMG_0669-large.jpg

Its the only picture I took of the stand. Horrible shot. But I spent about 2-3 hours cocking (thats the white lines you see), filling holes, and sanding all the boards. They were extremely uneven so I did a LOT of sanding.
IMG_0670-large.jpg

The top canopy again but from the back. You can clearly see the new addition (anything not black)
IMG_0671-large.jpg

Im exhausted.

Tomorrow I finish cocking, sanding, and hopefully the first coat (maybe 2) of paint. Its going to look grande! Just too bad I might have to sell it due to the weight issue.

Ripler

Thanks, unfortunately, you seem to be the only one that cares. If I had known I would not have kept a log! LOL no offense to you, just was hoping to get for more feedback, suggestions, ideas on future hahaha

amay121

Good start, what're you using for equipment wise? What theme are you going for? SPS? LPS? Softie? Mix? FOWLR? Dedicated fish room? Plumbing? Sump?

seafansar

Well I don't think too many people follow tank builds for some reason. I don't usually. You'll probably get more people's interest once you start adding livestock. What kind of lights are you going to use? And is it going to be a FOWLR or reef tank?

seafansar

I still think you should make the stand taller! Looks too short to me, but maybe that's just because I'm so tall. lol. I like tall tanks!