My Never-ending Calcium Problem

Melanie

So, I've determined it IS microbubbles and not Ca precipitation. **blushing**

I rearranged my sump to separate my skimmer from my return pump. I also disconnected my FUGE.

Now there are no bubbles (or Ca precipate for that matter.) BUT it is making the most horrible sucking noise. I did a video of my tank showing the dramatic improvement since the last video and also you can hear and SEE why it's making this noise.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YouTube - The Noise in the Tank

Melanie

Nope, fully submerged. The sound is coming from the overflow where that white bobbing thing keeps slamming up and down.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Bye bye micro bubbles. Now all we need to do is get Darth Vador out of your sump!! LOL

My 90 gal (single overflow) used to do that. To fix it, you can slow down the return pump a bit or put a sponge filter over that screen (see pic below)

OVERFLOW.jpg

Melanie

Ok, Doni Marie, I put the little triangle sponge back in and it cut the noise at least 50 percent. I had removed it because it was it was catching detritus.

So now, if I want to completely eliminate the noise, should I put some sort of valve on the return pump?

Jack, what do you recomend using to slow the return pump?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
To reduce flow, you could install a "T" into the return plumbing then route some of the flow back into the sump. That does not cause any undo stress on the pump.

ScubaDrew

Mel - I have this T system implemented on my small quiet one pump that feeds my phosban and refugium, works like a charm just make sure you plumb the part of the T that comes off the pump back UNDER water someplace. if you end the pipe above water you'll get a lot of noise and a lot of microbubbles as it mixes with the air.

last note - depending on the volume of water in your sump, you could use a second T and ball valve off the "excess" water line and attach this to a hose and use this to drain the water from the tank for your water changes. this allows you to skip any siphoning steps you might have.

Drew

Melanie

Dang Drew! That's ingenius!!

Of course, I'm weird and I truly enjoy the siphoning. I like to see it vaccum up any detritus and yuck.

samn691

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have that too... But I have always had it, I didn't think it was a problem. I thought it was normal, well, at least normal for a tank with AquaClear filters...