My Little Mandarin

sandyc

Thanks for the link. I have looked around there. It is where I read about the breeding success. I will keep looking. I promised myself I wouldn't buy another mandarin until I found one that was trained to take pellets and frozen. I added pods to my fuge and added a pod hotel from BigJay in my DT. I still don't think I have enough pods to keep a mandarin alive in a 29 gallon, even with all of the additions. Maybe someday.

BarbMazz

Scott, what a beautiful little fish. How typical of you to rescue her! So glad to read she's doing well and eating, eating, eating.

wow, Dentoid, great job!! Rescuing the mandarin is a noble thing and im very happy it looks happy and is given a chance to live his life.. Bravo Dentoid..

I've been wanting to have a mandarin of my own as well but i was told and have read that they beeds pods and only eat pods to survive.. After reading through this thread, it gives me hope that they eay frozen mysis and brine.. is it easy to get them to feed on these frozen food? You just can't imagine how much i wanted a mandarin since i started in this hobby.. lol!

Keep us posted Dentoid on the littel fella!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Here are some updated pictures I took today. It still looks a bit pinched in the abdomen. I'm wondering how much this has to do with its juvenile status because there are still pods all over the glass so I know it hasn't decimated the pod population in this tank. I have been adding a bottle of Tigger pods once a week. It could be an issue of the size of the pod too whether it eats it or not.

Eating pods off the front glass. Excuse the dirty glass. I've been reluctant to clean the glass because the pods are there feeding.

DSC_0018-8.jpg

Eating off the back overflow box.

DSC_0010-22.jpg

DSC_0020-11.jpg

DSC_0023-6.jpg

seafansar

Well if you do and he eats them, he'll get fat really fast. I leave the jar in the tank and just squirt food into it with a turkey baster.

rmlevasseur

Nice save Dent. That is one skinny fish.

I have had a target and a green in my 180 for a year now. I didn't do anything special for the target, he just started eating out of the water column. He always gets oohs and aaahs.

The green is smaller. Obviously not starving as its been a year, but he hasn't grown as much as the green. As far as I can tell, he still only eats pods.

For a while the target chases the green around and it got a little rough, but for the last several months no aggression at all. I guess the target just decided he couldn't catch him and gave up :)

seafansar

How's he doing? Have you tried feeding frozen mysis or brine? If there are no other fish in the tank to eat the food first, you wouldn't need the jar. Hope everything is going well!

Sapphire

Hi,

good save - great to see the progress. I have a striped (psychadelic) mandarin that I've had for about 13 months now - when we first got him he wouldn't eat frozen. but we hatched enriched baby brine shrimp directly into the tank which he would eat (we also have a separate pod tank where we harvest pods for him). We have sun corals which I feed frozen brine and mysis shrimp to and after a couple of months we noticed he was eating them. now he hangs out round the sun corals when they are fed to get the shrimp. I just wonder if he made the link between the live baby ones and then the frozen. He still toally ignores flake food. The only issue with hatching the shrimp directly was the increase in nutients etc but if it's not your display tank then maybe that's not such a big deal.

jski711

He still looks a little skinny. i doubt he eat the tigger pods as they are not the right size. i would try adding some frozen food to fatten him up. looks better than when you got him though.

Good Luck With Him!! Mandrins are by far my all time favorite fish and In the same sentence I will say on my personal no no list until I have ALOT of time and experience in saltwater and i am 100% sure I will not kill it! Hope you get him to thrive! Best of luck!

marine281

Try Hikari frozen blood worms, mine loves them, won't touch mysis or brine, but love worms like a fat kid loves chocolate :) I have lots of macro algae in my tank which the worm get stuck in, he wanders around picking them off.