My gramma has a spot

latuttle

Hi everyone,

I just got a royal gramma and a firefish on Friday - they were FedEx'd to me. They are in quarantine together. Today I got my first real look at the gramma, who has been hiding under a rock for the most part. He has a big, dark spot on his dorsal (?) fin. I do not know if he arrived like this - his shipping bag had a light-blocking cover, and after drip acclimating him in the bag, he's never given me a chance to give him a good once-over until this morning's feeding.

gramma2.jpg

Does anyone know what this might be, and if I should do something about it?

Edit: I should probably mention that this is a 3/4" fish - he's still quite young I would think.

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Woody you always make me think...Fish wear clothes? I learn something new everyday... He He He...

Do not feel silly latuttle...that is what we are here for! :thumbup:

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
latuttle said:
Okay I feel damn silly now. I'm so glad I posted in the new people forum for this!

No need to "ever" feel silly at RS... members here are really cool people who always are willing to give a helping hand. :thumbup:

Like the saying goes... "The only dumb question... is the one not asked"

Cougra

I'm more amazed that you got a picture of the Gramma out of the rockwork like that! Mine really hates seeing my camera and doesn't come out of the rocks when it's around. I even tried setting my camera on a tripod in front of the tank for a couple weeks to get it used to the idea of seeing the camera. Well, he wouldn't have anything to do with that idea and stayed in his little hole and waited for the food to come to him rather then venture anywhere near the camera lens. :(

latuttle

He was amazingly cooperative and brave. It's surprising - he spent 3 days in that tank hidden under a rock. Only way I knew he was still alive is that I could see him reflected in the bottom glass of my quarantine tank - I could see his little butt moving a bit.

I hope he stays brave - I like looking at him!

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Latuttle...Mine was like that too!

Michelle: I had one like yours as well...In my experience with grammas they show a wide range of "braveness" and "shyness". One of my favorite fish for sure...