my fowlr

mnreefman

just set up 2 months ago, pics forth coming once the fish get here.. lil bit of info on it
500 gal
120 gal sump/wetdry
mag 24 for return
850w vho
150 lbs cc but going to switch it with a layer of southdown
700lbs lr

fish on order
5 fu manch lions (sight to see when they school up)
2 leaf fish

and i will be ordering
2 rouge scorpions
1 or 2 bamboo sharks
1 mintas (sp) grouper

if anyone has any sugestions as to what else i could/should add... please let me know

Maxx

Couple of things....
I would personnaly stick w/ the CC since this will be a tank w/ heavy waste producers. CC is much easier to vaccum than sand is...
Also since the fu manchu's stay pretty small for a lionfish, you might want to re-think the Miniatus grouper. Its a sharp looking fish, but will get to the full size of about 18 inches pretty quick in a 500 gallon. I would hate to see you lose both the miniatus and a Fu Manchu because the Min tried to eat one and died....
Also, keep in mind that w/ the sharks, you wont be able to dose copper in the event you have an Ich outbreak. Granted on a FOWLR you probably werent going to anyway...just making sure.
Howsabout an eel? Dragon morays if you can find 'em, and then if you can afford 'em are nice. They look ferocious, but are a smaller eel. Zebra's are good for sizable eels that arent fish eaters....
Bigger angels would be sharp in a tank like that, so would some of the bigger tangs....
Just some thoughts...
Nick

Craig Manoukian

Originally posted by Maxx
Couple of things....
since the fu manchu's stay pretty small for a lionfish, you might want to re-think the Miniatus grouper. Its a sharp looking fish, but will get to the full size of about 18 inches pretty quick in a 500 gallon. I would hate to see you lose both the miniatus and a Fu Manchu because the Min tried to eat one and died....
Nick

Great point Maxx! I would pick one or the other.

You may want to think of some of the bigger genus Thalasoma Wrasses which can be way awesome in coloration and can get 12" or better.

Specific tangs to think about are the Orange Shoulder and Sohal.

The Angel's, a big French or Queen, would be nice as well in terms of specifics.

:) :D ;) :p :cool: :smirk:

Maxx

Annularis/ Blue ring angels are gorgeous too!
harlequin tusk wrasse maybe?

Craig Manoukian

From www.liveaquaria.com:

Pink Face Wrasse Thalassoma quinquevittatum

p_90049.jpg

Banana Wrasse Thalassoma lutescens

pw75956banana_wrasse.jpg

Paddlefin Wrasse Thalassoma lucasanum

pw76086paddlefin_wrasse.jpg

Klunzinger's Wrasse Thalassoma klunzingeri

p_89569.jpg

Craig Manoukian

Angels:

Imperator Angel Pomacanthus imperator

pw67142imperator_angel.jpg

Annularis AngelPomacanthus imperator

p_66725.jpg

French AngelPomacanthus paru

p_67025.jpg

mnreefman

thx you guys for pointing that out with the grouper, i forgot to add moray on my list.. i will be getting at least one......... as far as the angel go i kinda want this to be a more of an evil/venaomous tank, i was putting the grouper in for the activity level.. not many (active, smimming fish on my list)..... im not to keen on angels..(sry)

Craig Manoukian

Those Wrasses and Tangs are major league swimmers. Great color and swim action all in one fish. Very aggressive as well so they hold their own.

Almost sounds like an action figure or Ronco commercial, eh?

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

EdgeKrusher

mnreefgeek where are you from? From your handle I want to assume MN, but you know what assumptions do... ;)
Can't wait to see this project shape up.

Peace

EK

mnreefman

Originally posted by Craig Manoukian
Those Wrasses and Tangs are major league swimmers. Great color and swim action all in one fish. Very aggressive as well so they hold their own.

Almost sounds like an action figure or Ronco commercial, eh?

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

lol

mnreefman

Originally posted by EdgeKrusher
mnreefgeek where are you from? From your handle I want to assume MN, but you know what assumptions do... ;)
Can't wait to see this project shape up.

Peace

EK

i now live in port orchard washington, i am origionally from mn how ever..... this is my handel on many sites so ithought id just keep it
and its man not geek