My first tank "CRASH"

Hey everyone, some of you may have already read about this in a different thread. I first talked of this in response to another members disaster.

I had been on vacation the first week in Aug and near as I can tell the circuit breaker on the wall outlets for my tank had tripped just 48 hrs after I walked out the door (thur). Well as luck would have it I wasn't able to return the day I had planned to come home (Tue).

My car died in Sacremento and I had to abandon it there and hitch a ride with my brother and his family on their way home, which got me home Fri morn. Well, when I opened the apt door the smell hit me. It seemed all my fish & corals were dead, the water was so cloudy I could barely tell what was living or dead. Among the dead.
Fish
1 Foxface Rabbit, 1 Longnose Hawk, 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Scooter Dragonet and 2 Green Chromis.
Corals
3 Colt Corals, 1 anenome, 1 Toadstool Leather, 1 Yellowstar Polyp, 1 Greenstar Polyp and 1 Frogspawn. Most of which were frags I picked up at the LFS's.

Plus about 8 Turbo Snails and 8 hermits..

But all was not lost. I discovered my two Perculas in a column of water isolated by the corner overflow.

Well... Now the tank is recovering slowly... I have algae coming out of my ears. I even discovered a surviving coral, ID is unknown thus far. Looks like either a star polyp or zooanthid. I'm really quite new to reefing so I don't know my species all that well.

Anyway, I do as Cougra suggests and do a complete power loss test regularly. I want to make sure it won't flood the apt and check to see that everything starts up as it should.

So I surge ahead with plans for rebuilding and restocking.

I did do a little power mod as well. I discovered the tank wall was on a 15 amp breaker and was able to switch the wires with a 20 amp breaker meant for the kitchen outlets.

Thanks for your support. The information here at RS has been extremely helpful in getting things running smoothly.

Now the tank is looking good again. This past Saturday, I took out all the live rock and scrubbed the algae off of it. After all the organics from the dead animals I had quite a bloom going there. i had to take the sand out as well, I had to rinse it really well, with clorinated tap water to try and irradicate some cynobacteria that had been growing on it. It looks like that may have worked. No signs of it returning yet, but it's only been a short time so far. I updated my link to the newest photo of the tank. I'm hoping to ad some new corals in the next few weeks.

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
sorry to hear of your misfortune...very sorry ..karma to you ..imm glad you have the power to move on..i know myself..i would be very discouraged and prob. throw the tank at the window...cant wait to see the new progress.