My first fish illness

jamielai

I woke yesterday to find my clown sick or injured, I am not sure which. She has a small piece missing out of her tail. She was fine the night before so I am thinking it happened during the night. Well now she is just hanging in one corner and barley moving. Her color is fine and there are no other marks on her body. When I feed she can't swim to the food. I try to put it right over her but that doesn't help either. Her breathing is not fast. She was tank raised and I have had her since January. Is the nip in her tail just throwing off her balance or could it be something worse and do I need to put her in the QT and start medication. If so, for what???

mettjl03

You could treat it if you wanted... If it were me I would just keep an eye on him for a while. Moving him to another tank might just stress him out more.

jamielai

I was thinking the same thing about the stress but didn't want to do the wrong thing if I should be treating him for some sickness.Wanted to get others inputs.

lcstorc

I'm going to move this to the disease forum but we will need a lot more info.
Tank parameters (not just good or bad. Give us numbers.)
Age of tank. Type of filtration. Other inhabitants. Feeding routine and what foods do you use.
Most importantly a pic of the fish.
This information will get you a much more informed answer.

jamielai

Tank has been set up since end of Oct last year.
Sal-1.024
Temp. 80
P.H.-8.4 which is constant for tank
ammonia-0
Nitrate-0
Feed every morning a mix of cyclopeez, brine shrimp and alittle garlic. As for fish I have a b/g chromis, small blue hippo tang. They have been in for months. Inverts: snails, hermits, 1 cleaner shirmp (which has been hinding since yesterday which he never does so I think he may be the guilty party) And a Fromia star which I added two weeks ago. Filteration: CPR bak-pak. I can't download a pic because my computer is messing up right now.

leebca

My first suspect would be that the hermit crab(s) are getting a little more forward with their surroundings. They are not to be trusted and should be removed.

Is the missing part out of the fin or the flesh? It seems from the description, you are talking about missing flesh. Can you see red? What color is the surrounding flesh?

If you can see red, move the fish immediately into a quarantine tank and bring the salinity down to 1.014 over a two day period. During the move, swab the area with betadiene. The likelihood of infection is too great and you would want to give an antibiotic treatment.

If you can see no red at all and there is missing flesh, and the fish continues to not eat, move it out of the display into a quarantine tank, away from whatever it was that attacked it or caused this wound. Treat with Maracyn Two for Saltwater fishes and work hard trying to get it to eat.

The diet you are providing is not balanced nor varied enough and is not enough food (once a day? This fish need feeding three times a day). You need to fix that. Forget the brine shrimp -- worthless. Cyclopeze is good for one out of every 15 feedings, but not a staple food. Start reading about nutrition and food needs: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...eeding-marine-fish-marine-fish-nutrition.html

Without proper and optimum nutrition, and enough food, the fish can't heal itself in a timely manner, nor protect itself from opportunistic pathogens.