My first coral

Melissa

Today I took the plunge and finally purchased my first coral. I was looking at the mushroom rocks. And I got one. But the 'mushrooms' dont really look like the normal looking ones.

Does anyone know what kind of mushroom this is? It opened up real nicely after about a half hour.

Melissa

The guy at the LFS sold me some PhytoPlex, and said to give it a half of a cap full about 2 times a week. Does this sound right?

Thanks!!

Maxx

yup, Rhodactis mushrooms....
Nice buy Melissa! Where did you get them?
Nick

wooddood

the wood dude
beautiful coral very nice and yes it sounds about right on the phytoplex but you should read the instructions to be sure.good luck.

Gina

RS STAFF
This was one of our first corals also. Ours is growing really well. We also target feed ours with mysis, krill and cyclop-eeze. It takes them a couple of minutes but, then they close up and eat.

mps9506

I wouldn't worry about feeding the phytoplex unless you have feather dusters or something that will eat it. The mushrooms don't eat phyto, they may eat larger chunks of food that you drop on them, but mostly they seem happy enough just getting light.

If you do decide to feed the phytoplex, keep and eye on your nitrates, make sure you don't overfeed.
Mike

tankgirl

Hi Melissa! Beautiful shrooms!! Congrats on your 1st coral.
They'll open more in lower light. If you see that they aren't opening very much, try a lower light position in your tank. They're pretty hardy, a great 1st coral!!!

Craig Manoukian

You'll love those shrooms. My Hairy Mushrooms are huge and I don't target feed them. They get cyclo-peeze, mysis, and Zoe vitamins when I feed the rest of the tank. Enjoy!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Spooda420

where did you get that? Here in STL or online?

which store Marine solutions, Clayton Pet CO?, SW city? Andys?
where?

BTW it looks good, place it deep in the tank, Phyto plex is not bad (never used it tho, DT's is good also, but really how much do shrooms eat?)

C

ReefLady

Staff member
I think the shrooms are carnivorous and won't eat phytoplex. You can try feeding your fish a nicely-chopped frozen food like formula one, and some will surely get to the shrooms. But they really don;t require feedings, they grow plenty fast without them!

T

Melissa

Thanks for all the replies!! It's so pretty, and I'm sooo happy.

I have them about mid tank right now, under 440 Watts of VHO. Should I go lower. It seems really happy tonight. It's opened a lot. And I thought it was looking good yesterday.

I got it from Clayton Pet. They had a lot of nice things there, but I think I got the best of the Shrooms. They did have some other harry ones, but they were not the neon green colored ones.

The rest of my fish seem to like the Formula One Flakes and mysis. Should I soak the flakes and mysys in a little cup of tank water, and then pour it into the tank kind of close to him so that that some of the food will land on him?

Thanks again!

Melissa