My First Coral

jesse_224

Hi everyone. I just wanted to share a photo of my first coral. It is a star polyp if im not mistaken. I picked it up in St. Louis last night for $3. I wasnt planning on getting a coral but for that price I couldnt turn it down. Its about a 2 square inch piece....not huge but I like it.

polyp.jpg

Do I have to feed it? I was talking to the guy at my LFS and he said I may need to feed it. Do I need to feed it? And what should I feed it?

Charlie97L

i'd recommend putting it on a rock "island" on the substrate... if not, it will spread to adjoining rocks until you have a volleyball sized colony of star polyps... hahah unless that' swhat you want. :)

ReefLady

Staff member
Nice first piece! Great advice from everyone. The only thing I'd add is star polyps also appreciate moderate random current - to keep detritrus from settling on them.

jesse_224

Thanks everyone. I would like to see it grow. I can always frag it out. I have it in a moderate flow area. Should I rubber band it to the rock? or super glue? The flow of the water keeps knocking it off where I place it.

Snelly40

i like using rubber bands, my dad and i have used glue in his tank which "they" all say is safe, but all the chamicals scare me. Good luck buddy, and nice piece of coral

billyr98

superglue gel is the best! walmart sells it!! :)
my star polyps are growing like mad! they are so fun to watch grow!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Super glue GEL!! Great stuff... i've used it many, many, many, many times.... I need some now to frag my GSP that are growing from my overflow onto my side glass. It's easy to frag them from the glass... just scrap, dot some super glue gel on them and stick them to a rock... voila~ Store credit :D

Annie742

I like it! As for size, thats all I get is the itty bitty coral LOL, unless I can find a really good bargan :)

thundermoon

OK for those that might be worried about supper glue. yes i know i have not realy posted on here yet i am just getting into the hobie. have my first 75 gallon tank comeing this week buying it off a friend. but as far as supperglue you have to remember that it was originaly formulated and created as a replacement for stiches on the battlefield.

Gina

RS STAFF
True. If you are in the medical field and check out the ingredients of the human product (nexaband) they are the same as super glue.
Just got to remember to use the gel form of super glue.