My First Coral - Need Advise

sKuLLy

I bought my first small coral yesterday and I'm not certain what it is. It has pink branches which look like a tree and it is of a soft texture. The problem I'm having is when I brought it home it turned into what looks like a piece of pink bubble gum on the rock and is no longer "branched out". What is going on with this piece of bubble gum? How do I get it to transform from bubble gum into the tree it was???:rollingey

sKuLLy

I believe it is a polop of some kind but not a seafan. Is it common for corals to gum up when first introduced into a new environment?

sKuLLy

My water parameters are perfect. All at zero. I took a sample to the LFS and they said "perfect".

Not a carnation coral.

ReefLady

Staff member
Ah, OK, green star polyps will look like that when adjusting. They may look like that for a couple of weeks before they come out. Don't worry, they're EXTREMELY tough corals- they just tend to hold a grudge when moved. ;)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yes. They require almost constant feedings of plankton.. conditions only found in the ocean.

ReefLady

Staff member
I'm not sure "tough to care for" does it justice... more like "damned near impossible to keep alive and should not be kept by reefkeepers at this point." ;)