My Easy Water Change

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
When I fist started out I use to mix 5 gallon buckets of salt water by hand. It was time consuming, sloppy and just not the ideal way of doing it since not all the salt would disolve. I thought there has to be a better way so I asked questions and this is what I came up with:

Equipment: 1. RO/DI unit from bulkreefsupply, 1. Rio 400 pump for mixing the salt and pumping the water into my tank, 1. 200 watt heater set to 79, 5 feet of clear tube and 1 Brute trash can on wheels

I usually fill the trash can with about 25 Gallons of RO/DI Water:
engineer-goby-albums-water-change-picture21981-rodi.JPG

engineer-goby-albums-water-change-picture21980-waterstorage.JPG

Then I place my pump with the output facing upward in the center of the trash can and the heater on the bottom.
I measure out my salts and gently shake it into the can. I don't pour it in as to avoid clumping.
engineer-goby-albums-water-change-picture21995-mixingstation.JPG

I then put the lid on the can and let the pump run for about 48 hours. After that I will test the salinity and adjust as necessary.
Once the water has been properly mixed I wheel the can next to my tank along with a 5 gallon bucket for the waste water and the siphon tube.
engineer-goby-albums-water-change-picture21991-prep.JPG

I suck up any hair algae or Tang poo I can find. I do 3 to 4 buckets depending on the tanks conditions weekly. It might be a little more then needed but I rather be safe then sorry.
Now that I have removed 15 to 20 gallons it's time to replace it with a nice fresh salty treat for my corals.
I attach the tube to the pump then run it into my filter sock in the sump. I plug the pump in and turn my sumps return pump back on.
engineer-goby-albums-water-change-picture21992-pumping.JPG

I have a sticker on my sump that marks the water line.
engineer-goby-albums-water-change-picture21993-pumping2.JPG

Doing my water changes this way keeps me from ever having to lift any buckets, other then carrying the waste water buckets outside to my storm drain. I'm also not dumping large amounts of water in the top of my tank disturbing the fish and corals. Consistency is another great benefit as I match up the temp and salinity as close as possible to my tank. I hope that some will find this helpfull.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Looks great Rob.....I try to do it the same way - avoid top dumping. Just another great reason to have a sump.

I have plusher carpets in my man cave so i need to figure out a good way to wheel the brute can but i'll get there.....the 5g bucket works just fine on my small tank now!

engineer goby

Thanks. You could probably get one of those clear mats that they use in office buildings around the desks and just place it down when you need to wheel it.

dmatt88

Why use a 5 gal for waste water. I have 2 65 gallon drums. One fresh salt the other for waste. I use an old powerhead to fill into the sump but just gravity for draining. I like the wheels idea tho.

........the mayor votes funlad for president!

engineer goby

Why use a 5 gal for waste water. I have 2 65 gallon drums. One fresh salt the other for waste. I use an old powerhead to fill into the sump but just gravity for draining. I like the wheels idea tho.

Well Matt I didn't want to say it but your crazy. lol just kidding buddy

dmatt88

Well Matt I didn't want to say it but your crazy. lol just kidding buddy

Well that's obvious. However having an equal size waste water as new water makes life simplistic. Kinda. Moving 65 gallons sucks.

engineer goby

I probably should get a larger waste container. By the way Matt what is your monthly salt budget?

engineer goby

I like the 5 gallon buckets because it's a very specific measure of what's been removed although I guess I should know that by site by now

Nice explanation Rob. :)

long hoses > wheels on trash cans.

I'm with Jason on this one, my mixer remains stationary, that removes any possiblity of dumping a mass amount of water somewhere it shouldn't be (the floor). The hose is long enough to reach anywhere in the house, and once the fishroom is finished, no more buckets for waste water either. The only downsize is a big pump is required to move water that far within an acceptable period of time.

sk8rdn

jedi82knight said:
Nice explanation Rob. :)

I'm with Jason on this one, my mixer remains stationary, that removes any possiblity of dumping a mass amount of water somewhere it shouldn't be (the floor). The hose is long enough to reach anywhere in the house, and once the fishroom is finished, no more buckets for waste water either. The only downsize is a big pump is required to move water that far within an acceptable period of time.

Just watch that the end result of a pump that size isn't a fire hose... Would be equally as bad as a spilled bucket... Lol.
Try a variable volt control....

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

DesertOrchid

Holy cow my wife would leave me and I'm ugly so I can't risk it

Oh My Gosh that's hilarious... sorry had to laugh out loud. I know what ya mean though sometimes I wonder if the hubby wishes we'd kept the horses instead of buying yet another tank. I do pay the bills and do the cooking too so I know my fish budget is safe. :snshne:

Built347

Matt u really spend 150 a month in salt.. I'm not too far behind u in size and im around a bucket and a half a month... u must have those tanks on a steady stream of freshmix

sk8rdn

Built347 said:
Matt u really spend 150 a month in salt.. I'm not too far behind u in size and im around a bucket and a half a month... u must have those tanks on a steady stream of freshmix

Nope. He has the carpets on a steady stream of fresh mix... Tanks get minimal...

Built347

Nope. He has the carpets on a steady stream of fresh mix... Tanks get minimal...

thats funny... lol... i bet his fishroom floor looks totally F'd from the basement view..

sk8rdn

Built347 said:
thats funny... lol... i bet his fishroom floor looks totally F'd from the basement view..

Kinda like a cave... With stalgtites and all... Lol.